Plums on my lawn

pollyannasmum

Threads
My husband and I mowed the lawn yesterday and ended up mowing all the fallen plums into the grass. Do you think this will make the grass more lush next year?

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Probably won't make a huge difference. We have a plum tree here and aside from the mess the plums cause when you mow them, I don't really notice the grounds any more lush in that area. Of course, if we never mowed it I'd expect another few plum trees to start growing. :biggrin:

TedBeal

Threads
Do you mean like adding fertilizer? I suppose it might at that. The plums will rot into the grass and may well do it some good but if your grass dies and doesn't come back you'll also know why! I'll bet your mower was sticky though?

Rawlings

Threads
Ted, that was the first think I thought too! I would have had to stop and clear them rather than have to clean up the mess afterwards. It seems a shame to have all that fruit just falling, plums are good for cooking :).

pollyannasmum

Threads
Well, we got so many plums this year that the branches broke with the weight and I made loads of deserts, ate them raw, gave them to family and invited the neighbours in to take what they wanted. There were still a load on the grass and we were squelching when we'd finished. The mower was pretty sticky but it took less work to clean it than it would have to pick the plums off the ground first, and, yes I did think of plum trees appearing but so far we've been lucky and they haven't.....one is more than enough!

linda4

Threads
Yes. It will probably turn into organic matter which will add nutrients to your lawn and make it grow better next year. But the plum trees will have to be replanted.