Pls look at this B&D hedge trimmer and give me your op of points needing sharpening

Midwest Mania

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Pls look at this B&D hedge trimmer and give me your op of points needing sharpening
I have a mill file but I was confused as to where to apply it. Thanks in advance.?

It's a Black and Decker single action model 8124.

Really love this forum. The sum of all the expertise here is amazing. Great resource for the USA.

IMG_2053 (1).jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Pls look at this B&D hedge trimmer and give me your op of points needing sharpening
Yes it needs sharpening, like about 50 hours ago
They are very difficult to sharpen properly and really should be taken apart so the anvil bar & blade can be done separately .
You need a clean sharp corner on both for it to work properly.
It is a big job because there are a lot of faces to sharpen.
Now here is the rub.
Some blades are tool steel so can take sharpening with a fine cut file or diamond dresser
Others are just case hardened and sharpening just exposes the unhardened steel surface which goes blunt the first time you use it .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is an electric hedger. No new blades available. It is one those use it until breaks or wears out and then replace unit

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Two ways to sharpen but not worth it. First is disassemble and use a special grinder to grind the flat side of the blade. The other is to use a dremel type tool with a cylindrical stone and do each bevel on each tooth. VERY time consuming. I do a sharpening service and i don't even consider sharpening hedge trimmers.

Midwest Mania

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like landfill ...
thanks for the advice!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Recycling if you don't mind.
I was looking at buying a sharpening machine but it was over a grand.
When requested to have one sharpened I send them out to a full time sharpener and he hits me up about $ 75 Au for the sharpening then there is an hour to disassemble & reassemble the trimmer
SO the customer pays around $ 150 for the job
Most just buy a new one or a new blade
If you go down the new trimmer route, order at least 1 if not 2 sets of blades with it.\By the time you have munched through 3 sets of cutters the power head will be well on the way to eternity.

upupandaway

Threads
I don't think it is a total loss. Given i have a Stihl hedge trimmer but i don't take it apart to sharpen the cutting edge.
If u don't already have a dremel tool, u can get a el cheapo - 2 use similar one at harbor freight for $10. Sharpen the edges you can get to now, then run it until the other edges are exposed and sharpen those. It is no more than 10 minutes to sharpen them but with yours needing more work, 20 min.