PLEASE HELP WITH CRAFTSMAN BRIGGS AND STRATTON

nickt6494

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi guys, i have a prolbem. I have and older sears craftsman mower with briggs and stratton, i want to say it is and 18hp ohv engine but not sure. but anyways i can crank it fine and cut for about an 1/8 of an acre and then it starts to bogg down and backfire. then i hold down the break for a minute and it will idol back up and i can make another pass around the yard and it will do it again. i checked my spark and it is fine. I dont know if that means the magneto is ok or not. but i dont really have an idea on what is going on. could it be the points or carb or what. also i think there is a crack in the gas tank in the middle where the two halfs are put together could that be the problem. any advice would really help. thanks

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you checked to see if the exhaust (muffler) is choked up with carbon ? Sounds like back pressure to me.

It might also be that the gas cap isn't vented properly - if your gas tank is leaking --- I'd get it fixed or get a new one.

nickt6494

Forum Newbie
Threads
i will check that. i have more problems now tho i went out to start it today and after a couple crank attemps it stoped turning over. i checked the battery and both terminals were melted completely threw. the bolts holding the wires in melted the terminals completely off. i have no idea what is going on with this thing.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pull the plug and see if the engine will turn over by hand... You may have a sticking valve or worse... :smile:KennyV