Piston repair

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bought a John Deere 185 that a exhaust valve broke off and put a hole in the top of the piston. Seeing the John Deere wants a 110$ for a new piston and seeing I am cheap and don't want to spend this much so I called a welding shop. They told me that they could weld the hole. Has anyone ever had this done? I was also thinking about JB weld but don't know how it would hold up with the heat and compression. I am putting a used head on it so that part of it is OK but can't find a used piston.

jeff

Threads
Let us know what engine you have include model # and someone here can direct you to a less expensive replacement. I doubt that JB weld would work on this repair.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's in a John Deere 185 with a Kawasaki single clynder 17 hp. model FC540V

Black Bart

Threads
Bought a John Deere 185 that a exhaust valve broke off and put a hole in the top of the piston. Seeing the John Deere wants a 110$ for a new piston and seeing I am cheap and don't want to spend this much so I called a welding shop. They told me that they could weld the hole. Has anyone ever had this done? I was also thinking about JB weld but don't know how it would hold up with the heat and compression. I am putting a used head on it so that part of it is OK but can't find a used piston.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
I hope you don't intend to sell it to someone after you get it together.
Things like this is why it is so scary to buy a used one.:frown:

Boonstein

Forum Newbie
Threads
Speaking as a welder, just because something can be welded does not mean it should be welded.
Buy another piston, you will be happier in the long run.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I found a used piston at a salvage yard and it was like new so I used that. I wasn't going to sell it but just use it at my camp with very few hours per year. I was going to weld it before I would spend big money on it. If it didn't hold it wouldn't be no big deal seeing I don't have much money in the mower just retirement type labor. If I was going to do this job for a customer and not myself it would only be done right with good parts. It just seems that new parts for this Kawasaki engine is very expensive and I can't see spending big money on a 23 year old mower.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You would have been fine TIG welding the piston...
That is assuming you checked out wrist pin and skirt for any damage...
JB weld is a plastic epoxy ...it is NOT a weld, just has the word in it's name...
The temperature inside the combustion chamber will not agree with plastic... :smile:KennyV