Pile It On

Green Girl

Threads
I use the "put it all on a pile back behind the trees" composting method, which is not very quick. I'm much less disciplined about getting my kitchen waste out onto the pile in the winter as well. How do you make compost through the winter so it's ready to use in the spring?

grnspot110

Threads
I shred the garden waste, including leaves, layer it as best I can with what's available at the time, with a small amount of high nitrogen fertilizer ( prefer Ammonium Nitrate, but can't get it straight anymore). Bins are close to 3' cube, wood slats. I don't worry about complete composting, as it's all worked back into the gardens or flower beds in the Spring anyway.

Bins are at the back of picture. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• Flower Gardens 2008 108a.jpg
    Flower Gardens 2008 108a.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 5

adan

Threads
Interesting. We can make use of this method in tropical countries too. Our major downside is that, perhaps because of the temperature here, the smell quickly rises and spreads in the neighborhood.

But I believe you have that issue too. How do you deal with it?

grnspot110

Threads
Interesting. We can make use of this method in tropical countries too. Our major downside is that, perhaps because of the temperature here, the smell quickly rises and spreads in the neighborhood.

But I believe you have that issue too. How do you deal with it?

A good mix of green & dry shouldn't have an oder problem here, don't know about tropical climates. ~~ grnspot110

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use the "put it all on a pile back behind the trees" composting method, which is not very quick. I'm much less disciplined about getting my kitchen waste out onto the pile in the winter as well. How do you make compost through the winter so it's ready to use in the spring?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unless the ground is frozen too deep, I direct bury my kitchen waste in the garden and it always seems to be composted by spring. During gardening months I bury it between rows and either cover with dirt and or mulch.

I've also been known to just throw it out on the garden and let it do what ever it wants to do. I suppose I'm not a composter as such like I once was but sometimes as we get older we need to work smarter.

AndyMan

Threads
Parts of our property are not mowed - the grass just grows wild, mixed with wild raspberries, willows and burdock. We tend to fling our rinds and cores and uneaten bits into that area, without thought to collecting it for future use. It is well away from the house, so any animals it may attract are drawn away from the house, and there is no smell. The kids try to fling things clear over there from the deck as practice for baseball season.:smile:

minkyung

Threads
Hi Andyman! How far away from your house is the garbage area? If animals go there and not to your house, that is a smart idea :)

Harriet

Threads
Have you heard of electric composters that you keep inside your home? (I guess that's the other end of the spectrum from the "put it on a pile out back approach"). They are quick, and they can handle some food items you wouldn't ordinarily put on your pile outside.