Pet doors for the window

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm needing one of these.
1697317838034.png

But I ain't paying $200 for one. So I'm thinking about getting one of the single doors for like $20, put it in a window and somehow close that in.
Painted wood, perhaps? I've got an old hollow door I could cut down to size, paid and silicone it in around the pet door.
I'd much rather have some sort of tin or plastic sheeting.

Anyone got any idea's on this? It has to go in the window. The exterior doors are metal on the inside. And this house is rented.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well that one is good if you want rats and mice in your house.

I just finally got some rats that got in here. She must have been ready to deliver when she got in because had to kill 6+ rats. Two of them got Rokued. One just die of a concussion ( the trap just slap it) and another got caught just the very tip of the nose and mouth; bleed a lot. The other two got in the right.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well that one is good if you want rats and mice in your house.

I just finally got some rats that got in here. She must have been ready to deliver when she got in because had to kill 6+ rats. Two of them got Rokued. One just die of a concussion ( the trap just slap it) and another got caught just the very tip of the nose and mouth; bleed a lot. The other two got in the right.

The cat might want mice in the house. She brought me one the other day.

The window pet door won't be so accessible to rodents, being that it's in the window, a couple of feet off the ground. Obviously they'll be able to get up & into it. But there's much easier places for them to get into the house from. Like the plumbing.
None the less, the cat will take care of that problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have personally seen mice climb walls. Once I saw one about 7 feet up a painted concrete block. I thought it was a bat at first.

And it the reason I got a hole in one my screens now. It went up my vinyl siding to do it.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have personally seen mice climb walls. Once I saw one about 7 feet up a painted concrete block. I thought it was a bat at first.

And it the reason I got a hole in one my screens now. It went up my vinyl siding to do it.

Oh yeah, mice are good climbers for sure. But the room this is going in, is where the cat goes in an out of regularly. It's where her liter box is, and her bed.

I've had for a few months now, and have only had to kill one mouse myself. It was coming in from the attic, into one of the cabinets. Little rascal ate the plastic lids off a lot of things in that cabinet.

So I tossed it out back when I put her out and she played with for a while. A week later, she brought me a small mole she'd killed. I guess she was returning the favor.

BTW, I'm not a cat person. But she showed up very young, cold, scared and hungry. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, the cat window turned out pretty good. I cut out an old closet door to fit the window. Then cut out for the cat door. Everything went together smoothly. It's installed and caulked. The wooden part around it (closet door) was painted.
There's a ledge on the outside and inside for the cat to jump on when going in and out. The magnets built into the cat door are strong enough to keep the mice out. And it looks like there's not enough gap for even a small mouse to squeeze though. If it does, chances are the cat will be waiting for it. She sleep in the bed right beside the window.

Total cost was about $20 to $30. I already had the unused closet door.

The only trouble I ran into was finding out that who ever installed the outside windows, did it not only inside out, but upside down as well. The outside windows were done long after the original windows. Cheap crap by a traveling salesman, I'm guessing.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hard to get good help anymore..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It was just a batty installer. When you hang by your toes things do get installed backwards.