Pesticide Awareness

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
We totally rely on chemicals today

Yes we do... and with fewer and fewer farms, producing more and more product... we have to be dependent on a LOT of crop management.

It is not the the same demand as it use to be... today you must get the maximum production from your acreage, Farms must streamline and improve methods of production, a large part of that is chemical.

There are abuses of chemical use but it typically is not by large producers... it is usually the individual that figures "if a little is good a lot must be better' or someone that figures if a herbicide is OK their special blend of several will be better. You can not do that on a large scale. Too costly.

The difference between producing a crop, and planting a garden is not just the increase in scale... to plant and bring in a thousand acres of wheat or beans will take the most efficient means available... you must be able to control every aspect possible... some day possibly even the weather. I sometimes wonder if someone is not already attempting to learn how control the weather. KennyV

Berniep

Threads
Yes we do... and with fewer and fewer farms, producing more and more product... we have to be dependent on a LOT of crop management.

It is not the the same demand as it use to be... today you must get the maximum production from your acreage, Farms must streamline and improve methods of production, a large part of that is chemical.

There are abuses of chemical use but it typically is not by large producers... it is usually the individual that figures "if a little is good a lot must be better' or someone that figures if a herbicide is OK their special blend of several will be better. You can not do that on a large scale. Too costly.

The difference between producing a crop, and planting a garden is not just the increase in scale... to plant and bring in a thousand acres of wheat or beans will take the most efficient means available... you must be able to control every aspect possible... some day possibly even the weather. I sometimes wonder if someone is not already attempting to learn how control the weather. KennyV
Well stated.
And if you believe those late night radio talk shows they are trying to control the weather along with the whole population:eek:

Hershey

Threads
Quite honestly, I just don't like dealing with pesticides at all. I try to avoid having to use them, especially with the dogs, but admittedly, I also hate having bugs around. I tend to let the professionals handle it, though.

VRman

Threads
Check out some sites like Gardens Alive. They use organic ways of controlling pests. I've used their products in my garden, and it works as well as the off the shelf stuff from your local hardware store.