People say that new john deere mowers are crap.....

grass cutter

Threads
I have heard that newer john Deere's aren't very tough and they break all the time. Well was sceptialy about buying a new JD, buy I did. I have a 2006 series that I bought used last year. I have driven the thing in snow, cut down piles of wet leaves that were about 4 feet tall, I have driven the mower over rocks and extremely bumpy conditions. It has gone places that a riding mower shouldn't go. I still, knock on wood, haven't broke a part and it works fine. It still seems like a tough mower to me.:biggrin:

patches

Threads
I don't know who said the new John Deeres aren't tough, but it's been my experience that they're as tough as they always have been. I wouldn't have anything but a JD because they are so tough.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like most consumer grade machines, there are a lot of models to choose from... if you pick a light weight and do nothing but heavy duty work with it ... you are apt to end up thinking there is something wrong with your mower design...

Beyond width of cut, there are a lot of differences from model to model, all from the same manufacturer... you have to look close, to get the right tool for your job... :smile:KennyV

jteuban

Threads
I like JD and Husky, as well as Stihl they are all great machines. I do not know why people buy the cheap tools for yardwork, seeing that you are going to use it year after year. So why not get a JD or Husky that is going to be tough and last. JD's are great tools in any situation. John Deere all the way. cheers
:)

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
From what I've heard lately, they are one of the best products you can buy. The main complaints I've heard from people is concerning the price.

grass cutter

Threads
From what I've heard lately, they are one of the best products you can buy. The main complaints I've heard from people is concerning the price.

I have heard a lot about how poorly made new JDs are on other sites, glad to see that some people think the same way :biggrin: I would gladly buy another.

LandN

Threads
i do use the entry level john deere tractor on heavy duty work and light work for years now and it still runs good while doing regular maintenance which is key to everything,my 2 year old john deere push mower was bought and used until the commercial duty one was introduced ,now that it is, i will trade up for it. my 2 year old john deere 30" wide blower- built like a tank. my john deere string trimmers run very strong....and my john deere hat stays on my head:laughing::laughing::laughing:

jenkinsph

Threads
  • / People say that new john deere mowers are crap.....
I agree with Kenny in that you have to choose the model according to the tasks at hand. I have several different sizes and try to use them within the limits of their abilities. I don't try to make a small light duty riding mower perform work that calls for a larger tractor. I get good service and pricing from my Deere dealer and the equipment has performed well for me over the years.

Most of the complaints have been with the entry level 100 series riding mowers, weak K46 trannies are the most common things I hear about. Yet my L130 is six years old this year and still performs well for the most part. I would say the 100 series will be okay for mostly level lawns but if you have alot of steep slopes the tranny won't last long.

The X749 can handle steep slopes very well but has a steep price as well.

grass cutter

Threads
I agree with Kenny in that you have to choose the model according to the tasks at hand. I have several different sizes and try to use them within the limits of their abilities. I don't try to make a small light duty riding mower perform work that calls for a larger tractor. I get good service and pricing from my Deere dealer and the equipment has performed well for me over the years.

Most of the complaints have been with the entry level 100 series riding mowers, weak K46 trannies are the most common things I hear about. Yet my L130 is six years old this year and still performs well for the most part. I would say the 100 series will be okay for mostly level lawns but if you have alot of steep slopes the tranny won't last long.

The X749 can handle steep slopes very well but has a steep price as well.
So far its been fine with slopes. I guess the real test will be mowing spring grass:eek:

Kingwood990

Threads
I think it depends on what model or series machine you buy. I think the reason why people think that the new Deere's are junk is because they buy the wrong machine for the job. They might buy the smallest model Deere makes and expects it to pull heavy carts or bush hog fields or something along those lines. After the over work kills their machine they automatically assume that all John Deere mowers are junk.