Patio vs. Deck

Hershey

Threads
We're having lots of debates these days as we contemplate some changes. One of the issues is whether we want to go with a cement patio or a wooden deck. What do you have and how do you feel about it?

Bethieboo

Threads
Well a cement patio will take less upkeep but a wooden deck looks better (in my opinion). How big is the area that you want to lay the patio or build the deck?

carla6

Threads
I have a wooden deck and much prefer it to a cement patio. Not that it is any more functional but it sure looks better attached to the back of the house.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
We're having lots of debates these days as we contemplate some changes. One of the issues is whether we want to go with a cement patio or a wooden deck. What do you have and how do you feel about it?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As much as I like wood products, with the lumber quality of the past few years being what it is, I doubt if I would ever build another wood deck.

Google tiled patios etc. and you'll find several options.

dannycrensh

Forum Newbie
Threads
To me it is much more about what style of house you have than what material you prefer. My neighbor has a 60s ranch with a wood deck and it looks about as silly as a woman with a bikini bottom and a wool sweater on at the same time.:laughing: Pick what will match the style of your house and blends with the materials it was built with. I have a 60s ranch and need some new furniture for my concrete patio. I need some help finding something that looks 1960s and I can afford. If anyone will look at this link and let me know if you see anything that you would choose, I would appreciate it. Patio Furniture Clearance

Slater

Threads
I think it comes down to your house and budget. My wife and I had been debating for awhile then we realized that our house just would not work with a deck. Trying to connect it to the house would not work as the house is level to the ground and the back door is raised only 2 inches from the ground. We opted to go with something similar to this partially because we had all of the stone for it, and the style fit the house, plus I could do it all myself with a lot less time taken:
How to Build a Stone Fire Ring | The Family Handyman
With an arbor like this except with a pergola over top.
How to Build an Arbor with Built-in Benches | The Family Handyman

mystreba

Threads
Wooden decks are a PITA to maintain, in my opinion. TREX decks are very expensive. Concrete patios are B-O-R-I-N-G. (well, except for all the concrete patios by chance owned by members of LMF :ashamed:)

If you can lay tile, you can do a stone patio. And it will be virtually maintenance-free. I've done several patios, stone columns, stone walls, etc, and can help you if you want to try it.

LandN

Threads
Wooden decks are a PITA to maintain, in my opinion. TREX decks are very expensive. Concrete patios are B-O-R-I-N-G. (well, except for all the concrete patios by chance owned by members of LMF :ashamed:)

If you can lay tile, you can do a stone patio. And it will be virtually maintenance-free. I've done several patios, stone columns, stone walls, etc, and can help you if you want to try it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: besides the(raised) decks being a pita(imo)to maintain, they are a magnet to bugs, ants, bees,small critters,unless of coarse a person has the time and the desire to devote to the upkeep of a deck.