Repairs Part ID - figured I should ask before I remove

jb59

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm trying to help my 91 year old father in law with his Husqvarna LGT 2654. He told me it was leaking so I took it out, let it run idle for about 15 minutes then opened the hood and checked it out. I noticed oil leaking (please see attached picture) but before I take this part off (to examine the leak behind it) I figure I should identify what this part is. I looked in the owners manual but could not find it in there either.

The oil I saw leaking is behind this part, and is running down the engine block.

I guess I should also add that I know very little about small engine repair. I took a small engine repair class in junior high school but that was in 1973-1974.

Thanks a million for any assistance with this.

V/r

JoeHUSQ.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is the starter. Put up your engine's model numbers off of the valve cover, I might have a block like that laying about.

jb59

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is the starter. Put up your engine's model numbers off of the valve cover, I might have a block like that laying about.

Thanks Fish. So it should be safe to remove it then?

I appreciate your reply. I had a feeling it might be the starter when I saw the cable but wanted to make sure before removing it.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, it isn't too hard to take off, but I would strongly suggest you get a thin 1/2 wrench to put on the inside cable nut, when loosening the outer nut, if you don't you will damage the bottom end of the starter, it is cheap plastic.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the oil level and clean all the residue from the dip stick tube and starter before removing the starter. That dip stick tube has the same residue on it as the starter. It's common for a leak at the bottom of the tube when the engine is over filled with oil.

briggs

Threads
Check the oil level and clean all the residue from the dip stick tube and starter before removing the starter. That dip stick tube has the same residue on it as the starter. It's common for a leak at the bottom of the tube when the engine is over filled with oil.

i was just going to say that also u beat me to it

jb59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, it isn't too hard to take off, but I would strongly suggest you get a thin 1/2 wrench to put on the inside cable nut, when loosening the outer nut, if you don't you will damage the bottom end of the starter, it is cheap plastic.

Got it. Thank you. Understood. I really appreciate your advice.

jb59

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thank you Senior, (and Briggs) for your advice.

My father in law is in the hospital right now and his wife (mother in law) has been visiting him pretty much 24/7 so not sure when I'll be able to get in there to finish up with this lawn tractor - but thanks to you all for your words of wisdom on this.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you Senior, (and Briggs) for your advice.

My father in law is in the hospital right now and his wife (mother in law) has been visiting him pretty much 24/7 so not sure when I'll be able to get in there to finish up with this lawn tractor - but thanks to you all for your words of wisdom on this.

Here is hoping for the best always and espceially during a time of family illness.