Parasitic draw

No I didn't disassemble the starter, the motor turned and ran smoothly but the Bendix was a little erratic. That turned out to be a problem. I think I've finally got the problem of parasitic draw solved and I'll give a complete report once I get the new ignition switch and starter I've ordered installed.

Thanks, Pete
 
No I didn't disassemble the starter, the motor turned and ran smoothly but the Bendix was a little erratic. That turned out to be a problem. I think I've finally got the problem of parasitic draw solved and I'll give a complete report once I get the new ignition switch and starter I've ordered installed.

Thanks, Pete
If you ever do decide to R&R the starter.....the brush springs are fiddly and you want to be under a sheet on a solid floor. They will fly several yards. The sheet resticts where they go. Ask me how I know 😁. Had one that bounced off the 10 foot ceiling *tunk* and landed somewhere with a metallic *tink*....which left the open tool box lids as the likely place. Took a half hour to find the damn thing....
 
I still like to know how an item connected to an open circuit, which a solenoid is open circuit when the contact are not closed, draws current. Much be by magic...
 
I finally asked myself that question! The only way I could see the starter motor running was if the solenoid contacts were closed and the only way that could happen is if 12v were being delivered to the solenoid thru the little red wire and that could not occur - or wasn't supposed to - unless the ignition switch was in the start position. Didn't know what was going on because one of the first things I checked was the ignition switch. I had checked it for continuity when there was supposed to be continuity and no continuity when there wasn't supposed to be, using the service manual wiring diagram and switch diagrams and my multimeter, between the various contacts. Everything seemed to be OK but the proof is in the pudding. I put everything back together after cleaning and checking all the socket plugs and ground wire, turned the key to start and the starter motor whirred to life but the Bendix did not engage and the motor would not stop when I turned the key to off, in fact wouldn't stop for any key position until I disconnected the battery neg wire. This all told me I needed a new starter motor because of the non-functioning Bendix and a new ignition switch because the old one would not shut off when in the off position. I just got the new starter and new ignition switch about 10 min ago but won't have time to put then in until Monday

I hope I solved my problem with the new switch and starter. I was deceived by my half-assed checking of the ignition switch or I would have saved myself a few days of grief!
 
He probably had the key ON when he connected the battery cables. Little spark jumped a bit. Maybe he has headlights that come on with the key???? Or the solenoid is shorted closed slash welded from amperage strikes when the key goes to start???

OP doesn't know what a solenoid is. Probably should sell the mower and get a pro lawn crew.
 
Back
Top