Pacing

bret

Threads
What are some good strategies for pacing yourself when you have to shovel a large amount? I always want to just get it done, but I usually pay for days for doing so.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What are some good strategies for pacing yourself when you have to shovel a large amount? I always want to just get it done, but I usually pay for days for doing so.

Sometimes I have deep heavy snow to shovel off walks and the decks. I usually just make a 2 foot wide path to begin with, take a break, then, in the cleared path, scoop half the remaining height of snow and toss it STRAIGHT forward to the side. Once half that is cleared, I scoop the remaining half off. It is much easier on your body to move snow STRAIGHT ahead than scoop and then twist sidewise to throw it. I have found I can move a lot more snow keeping my body straight and not twisting anything unless I have to, and when I have to twist I intentionally scoop less snow. If it's deep and powdery, I frequently invert the shovel and PUSH the snow aside rather than scoop, lift and throw it.

Driller

Threads
You need to listen to your body. It will tell you when you need to pause and take a break. Most people tend to not pay attention but the signs are there.