Export thread

Pacing

B

bret

What are some good strategies for pacing yourself when you have to shovel a large amount? I always want to just get it done, but I usually pay for days for doing so.

JDgreen

JDgreen

What are some good strategies for pacing yourself when you have to shovel a large amount? I always want to just get it done, but I usually pay for days for doing so.

Sometimes I have deep heavy snow to shovel off walks and the decks. I usually just make a 2 foot wide path to begin with, take a break, then, in the cleared path, scoop half the remaining height of snow and toss it STRAIGHT forward to the side. Once half that is cleared, I scoop the remaining half off. It is much easier on your body to move snow STRAIGHT ahead than scoop and then twist sidewise to throw it. I have found I can move a lot more snow keeping my body straight and not twisting anything unless I have to, and when I have to twist I intentionally scoop less snow. If it's deep and powdery, I frequently invert the shovel and PUSH the snow aside rather than scoop, lift and throw it.

D

Driller

You need to listen to your body. It will tell you when you need to pause and take a break. Most people tend to not pay attention but the signs are there.