P3314WSA

oldlawnguy

Threads
Steve's small engine saloon has a good video on tuning 2 strokes... that's how i tuned this poulan when i got it running... idled great and great throttle response with very very little bog.
Yes this 12 min clip from SSES is very good for say a 100 level-- with limiter caps, your original saw, etc.

101 level would be say if you did a carb rebuild and/or picked up a used saw and previous owner messed with the jets. How would you tune from square 1 using initial settings etc. as I indicated above. It can be pretty tricky as a DIYer compared to a pro. As Steve said in the clip 1000 rpms too rich is fine to cut compared to 1000 rpms too lean. I'm interested in a general rule of thumb on H rpms on standard home saws. I realized certain models can have different rpms, that is why I referenced 4-stroking H jet and then back in to lean. 11-12K rpms appears to be around that and was looking for some general feedback as to if it's horseshoes and hand grenades close enough.

102 level would be taking it up a level but that's for the pros.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All adjustable jet carbs should be done the same way
Rich till it 8 strokes then lean till it starts to miss and set 1/2 way between the two .
Best to err slightly on the rich side .
easy on the old carbs where too rich to too lean was between 1/2 & 3/4 of a turn.
Then EPA carbs came in with a finer taper on the needles and some of these the range too rich to too lean can be nearly 3 turns.
This was done on the assumption that every one who tunes them has a $ 20,000 exhaust gas analyser with the right bolt on collector and restrictor to mimick the muffler .
The misplaced logic is that the finer adjustment means the engine can be tuned to the exact right mixture down to 3 decimal places which is true, just so long as the tool is never used because what is perfect in the workshop will not be perfect under load ( which is why you set them a little rich ) and the really stupid thing about that is we have known this for near 100 years which is why dyno tuning was invented so car truck & motorcycle engines could be tuned under load.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most non Stratified (air head) versions of the Walbro and Zama are initial set at a will start setting 1-1/2 turns out from lightly seated on each mixture screws per factory instructions. The Stratified versions are whole different beast but the idle (L) mixture is still initially tuned to 1-1/2 turn out from lightly seated. Now H can be several turns out as you turn in the carburetor Start with 2-3 turns.

As for tuning using a tach will get you a lot closer to the right setting but even then some saws need to tune while in use. Other\ words tuned while it actually being used in the cut. I don't trying toe set the mixture as you are cutting both slight fine tune adjustment in between cuts. This why I have test logs here at my shop. Stratified carburetors are picky about getting them tight for in the wood cuts. I had to work very out of the cut but failed in the cut.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
got the oiler spring removal tool in... BY GOD THAT WAS SIMPLE!!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Still waiting on the parts i was told were in stock...6 days and not shipped, however compared to how long some of you on here have been waiting, I'll retain patience for awhile longer.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
parts keep getting pushed back.... from 8/10 to 8/13 expected ship date... may call Parts Tree and see if they have the parts in stock.. then cancel this order and order them from parts tree... ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now you how some us that have shops are feeling. Can't get repairs done because we can't get the parts. Customers are pissed but there nothing we can do about when we depend on others to do their jobs.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Looks like the parts might ship out today.... the expected date was up to the 18th.
1628607376033.png