Outsmarted by Smart Switch

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got a TS242 Husky with one of those dreaded Smart switches # 586 59 07 08 .
The PTO stopped working & they drove it back into the shed turned it off and that was it, nothing after that.
I have been through all of the wiring, checked all of the safety switches, jumped the ones that could be jumped ( Seat Reverse & brake ) but still got the same result
PTO & Brake lights flashing alternatively
So I replaced the smart switch because the customer did not want me to rewire it to a dumb switch.
Waited 5 weeks to get the switch , plugged it in and all seemed well mower fired up & ran fine till I got outside then again the PTO warning light flashed then the engine shut down.
Now I get the same alternate flashing of the Brake & pto lights . checked brake switch & PTO switch , both check out fine.

So does any one know what the meaning of the flashing lights is ?
I checked & this question has been asked several times with no resolution to date
This is a very low hour machine with 148 hours on it , spotless , parked in a garage .
I have even go so far as to pull the blower housing to check for rodent damage to wiring
so it is clutching at straws time now.
Don't want to fork out another $ 250 for another switch
Did I mention I hate these things ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Husqvarna has done a poor job of releasing information on problems related to these switches.

Since it worked until you moved the mower I suspect you have a loose connection somewhere in the harness. I would also verify the wiring to the seat switch.

Sorry can't be of any further help but I simply don't any customers or experience with the smart switch. So further they all haven't been that paranoid that someone is going to steal their mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Apparently Husqvarna did publish a couple of service notices ( so says the web so it must be true )
I have gone through this mower with a fine toothed comb
Thought about bad connections but I have poked & proded pushed & pulled, used jumpers to bypass all of the regular switches .
Spent neat 4 hours on it today so now have 2 smart switches that flash at me and do nothing else so I suspect a burned out transistor as there is no relay for the PTO so the power for the PTO passes through the switch and that is a heavy load for a solid state circuit .
I will try to see if the local Orange man can test the switches as the schematics do show a 3 pin "diagnostics " connection
I have ripped out 3 and would dearly like to make this the 4th but the customer wants to keep the mower as is for sentimental reasons as it is the last thing her husband bought.
He died the day after it was delivered .
The only thing I have not done is to independently energise the clutch as I do not have bullet connectors in the servie tool box, only spade ends on te jumpers so I will make some up & have another shot is a day or so .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I emailed Husqvarna a request for more info on this using your description of the problem. I see what they reply with. Not holding my breathe though...

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Much appreciated
I got nowhere,
Told to bring it in to their workshop which is currently running at 3 weeks & they claimed the switches can not be tested unless plugged into the mower .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Much appreciated
I got nowhere,
Told to bring it in to their workshop which is currently running at 3 weeks & they claimed the switches can not be tested unless plugged into the mower .
So they will be just guessing at it too.

Well I got a reply which I kinda figure I would get. The gist of it is even they don't know how to diagnose the switch. They have no service info on it and that their dealers are on their own since they publish no service manual on the switch. All I was referred to was the operating instructions. All was suggested that you may have a brake or pto switch conflict with the smart switch. Well we already knew that.

Otherwords the dealer is in the same boat as we are. Lost at sea. They will be just guessing at the problem too. It is a shame Husqvarna provides no support.

All I can think of is a loose connection or shorting of the wiring harness due to mower movements.

So glad my customers are smart enough to avoid this switch.

They even just deleted my last message without even reading it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for that
While searching I kept on seeing refferals to a 6 page dealer service manual but like a lot of things on the www it sounded like urban myth
Printed out the schematic A3 so I can red it in dim light so will go back with the good meter and some extra wires and see what I can find.
I guess that the unit was designed by a softwear architect on the assumption it would be getting a nice clean stable power feed not the spike filled feed that the mowers produce .
Oddly enough Spartan use a keyless system with almost the same functions , so one would assume it uses the same chip / board and there does not seem to be any problem with them.
Also noticed there is no diode on the PTO to prevent spikes either .
I guess that Husqvarna was going to issue a diagnostic tool but they had so many unit failures under warranty they gave up on the idea.
Hard sell to tell a customer they need a new switch @ $ 300 ( Aus ) for a problem the techs can not find nor define and of course the customer expects to be free under warranty
FWIW the spares manager advised me to replace the clutch , clutch switch & smart switch which would come out close enough to a grand .
No wonder husqvarna is blitzing the TV with advertisements telling every one to buy a shed full of quality orange gear .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They are just living off their former quality and support rep and providing lousy support.

SARG

Threads
I will also chime in to say the response from Husqvarna is dismal ..... as in non-existent ....... might as well pee in a fan as use their website.
I have a 2354GXLS that I do like ........ but when it's retired I will probably go green.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I will also chime in to say the response from Husqvarna is dismal ..... as in non-existent ....... might as well pee in a fan as use their website.
I have a 2354GXLS that I do like ........ but when it's retired I will probably go green.
That one is a fairly good mower. But the last one I worked on required the spindles to be rebuilt and all three idlers replaced. Apparently one of those DIYers had found the mower and didn't bother to clean the rust off the spindle pulleys as they ate up the new belt they installed. Also had to repair engine damage caused by mice.

Bert I got another email from Husqvarna saying they forward request for help to someone else in the company; that was 2 AM local time. Not holding my breath.