Repairs only runs with choke out

Jim1944

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2001 50" Chopper with a 20 hp Kohler engine. For the last year it takes spells where it will only run with the choke pulled out. so far I have done the following
cleaned both gas tanks,
changed fuel filter
replace all fuel lines
clean and replace air filter regularly
Dealer replaced carb with a new one last fall at a cost of around $ 300.00
the mower is still doing it. when I first start it, it will run for about 15 or 20 minutes, then start faltering and I have to pull the choke out and then it runs fine.
can anyone help me
reply to musician@ccrtc.com or to this thread.
thank you
Jim

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like you may have to lean a condition of air fuel ratio in my opinion. May be a air leak somewhere along the manifold or carb. By closing the choke you cut down on the air supply thus richening the mixture. Check the carb bolts to make sure they are tight. When the symptons happen again try spraying wd 40 or similar to check for air leaks around the manifold/carb. I have no formal training in small engines repair but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
:laughing::laughing:
HolidayInn_4.jpg

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
If no air leaks you may have trash in your carb that would require cleaning. :tractor:

Jim1944

Forum Newbie
Threads
it ran this way with the old carb and still runs that way with the new carb. No trash in the carb, replaced it. Isn't this thing computerized as far as fuel mixture is concerned?

Raw Dodge

Threads
It sounds like your fuel tanks aren't venting.since its ok for a while.id loosen one of your fuel caps for a few seonds next time it starts acting up and see if that stops the problem.if not i would look at the pulse fuel pump next.a simple tee and cheap low pressure guage should confirm you still have or lose fuel pressure when it acts up.