One drive wheel doesn't drive--Toro 22" Recycler

Okay, so I've attached a video showing the play in the axle... In the meantime, I discovered what I believe to be at least part of the problem. In the two pictures I've attached, labeled "good side" and "bad side", you will notice that the bad side isn't quite flush; it seems that something did in fact get bent, probably when my neighbor was rough-housing the mower into the trunk of his car. Something clearly needs to get bent back--but I'm not sure what, and how. Ideas? Thanks again!

Oh, and I've put the bad wheel back on, so as not to ruin the good one. I've gotten along so far with one-wheel drive, I can probably make it through the rest of the summer. :)

Tony
 

Attachments

Nah, I doubt that the up and down movement would damage any gear teeth, I would suggest removing the wheel and the gear, and look for a bent shaft on the trans, or a bent wheel bolt.

Screw the wheel bolt back in and look for a wobble as you turn the bolt in, and also find a way to rotate the trans axle while you look at it and look for any wobble there.
 
Nah, I doubt that the up and down movement would damage any gear teeth, I would suggest removing the wheel and the gear, and look for a bent shaft on the trans, or a bent wheel bolt.

Screw the wheel bolt back in and look for a wobble as you turn the bolt in, and also find a way to rotate the trans axle while you look at it and look for any wobble there.

Okay thanks I will try that.
 
All you have to do is put the wheel bolt through the wheel and spin it. The wheel should spin freely on the bolt, with no wobble. Make sure the bolt is clean. Do this with both the good and bad wheels. Any wobble is going to affect the meshing of the metal drive gear, to the plastic wheel gear. Which one do you thing is going to give out first? If the shoulder bolt (wheel bolt) wobbles in the new wheel, you either have a worn bolt or bad wheel.
 
I did try loosening the cable, but that didn't seem to be the issue. The problem is definitely the gears not meshing properly. When you say "play between the wheel and the axle bolt," in which direction do you mean? It definitely moves horizontally (in the direction of the axle) quite a bit; I will shoot another video later this afternoon in order to show what I mean. Thanks for the help!

Tony

For the record, often this will happen if the axle is bent - the pinion gear centerline and the axle centerline must be parallel, and the correct distance from each other for the length of the axle. If the axle is bent, neither are met. Simply bend the axle straight - probably needs to be bent toward, or in the direction of, the small pinion gear. This will engage the teeth more tightly and properly transfer load from the driving pinion gear to the wheel gear. Otherwise there is not enough engagement of the teeth, and the softer plastic wheel teeth can easily strip.
 
You do realize you posted to a thread that is almost THREE YEARS old? I think the OP has probably figured it out by now.
Just an FYI.
Peace Out.
 
Back
Top