Old Snapper Self Propelled questions

TJWerner

Threads
Hi,

I have a Snapper 21357B Self Propelled walk behind mower that has a few issues:

1) Leaky gas tank. Gas tank is molded into the engine cover and leaking at a seam. I'm having no luck finding a replacement online. Any help to repair or replace this would be appreciated.

2) Air flap in carb not closing when throttle is pushed up to "choke". I have to take the air cleaner off and manually close it. Not a huge deal, but I will be giving the mower to a friend until she can sell her house, and I don't want to drive over to her house to start the mower whenever the lawn need to be mowed.

3) Rubber ring for self propelled mechanism needs replacement. Any idea where to get a replacement? Is there a place online for parts diagrams and part numbers. Any idea what engine came with this mower -- I think it's a Briggs, but can't find a part number and all decals are long gone.

Other than that, the mower runs great, especially since it sat outside for a couple of years. New plug, cleaned carb and it fired up on the third pull.

It stalled out a few times -- probably due to gunk in the gas tank -- but I installed a fuel filter where there was none before, and it will run all day -- or at least until the gas leaks out.

Tom

dougw

Threads
should be able to find parts on line or go to snapper site and find a local dealer.
A lot of the briggs engines have a number stamped in above the spark plug the other option
is watch on trash day for one with similar engine and pull the plastic part off. As for the choke issue
look at the linkage, sounds like something might be a little dirty or rusty.
Doug

snapsstorer

Threads
if you can find the part #, try cross referencing them with a allis chalmers. i have an photocopied manual for each. A-C has some of the same parts as snapper.

SnapperGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can try this website also, www.partstree.com, click on the link below. For engine parts find the " model, type, code" on the pull start housing above the spark plug. Then go to Lawn Mower Parts & Small Engine Parts by Briggs & Stratton and find the parts section and you can look your specific engine up by model number and get carb parts for your engine. Here is the link for snapper parts:

Parts and Diagrams for Snapper 21357B 21" 3.5 HP Steel Deck Series 7

I just noticed that there is no parts listing for this link for the self propel parts. This is the part number for the rubber drive ring {Snapper 7023364 RING, Driven (Rubber Disc)} I hope this helps you out.

SnapperLady

Threads
The fully illustrated parts manual for your Snapper self propelled can be found at:

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/bifpsaVJ1DajI.pdf

This is a 45-page downloadable .pdf file, available free of charge from Lawn Mower | Tractors | Zero Turn & Riding Lawn Mowers | Snapper

As for specific engine parts for various models of Briggs and Stratton engines, I checked out the link posted by Snapper Guy.....

More specifically, Small Engine Manuals | Lawn Mower Manuals | Briggs & Stratton - enter the engine's model number and it should take you right to where you need to look.

One of my Snapper enthusiast buddies on this forum swears by Lawnmower Parts and Lawnmower Repair Help | LawnmowerParts.com - they seem to have great prices and a complete selection of parts for every Snapper mower you can imagine, as well as the various engines that went on Snappers.

I found it very helpful to be able to search for parts on this site using the original parts numbers listed in the original manuals. This gave me the info on the current part numbers now being used.

SnapperGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Snapper Lady for posting the parts manual. LawnMowerParts.com is another great website to order parts besides Partstree.com. I personally haven't ordered any from the other site but I know Partstree gets their parts straight from Snapper at a cheaper rate on some parts. So you know your not getting an aftermarket part.

shacky

Threads
Snapperguy - I like your Big Six Avatar! I have one from ~'97. Have felt it cuts too short even in highest position. May need to look at bigger wheels. And I wish the Big Six wasn't so loud! I also have Honda HRX and noise level is night and day.