Old or New ?

Old or New ?

• Total voters

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
If you were buying a Household/Garden item, would you go for something new, or something older ?

I'm not talking about money or anything, just the actual item.

Last edited:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you were buying something (not necessarily a Lawn Mower), would you go for something new, or something older ?

I'm not talking about money or anything, just the actual item.

Sorry, your question is too generic and has too many variables to be very useful...obviously one would want old antique furniture and possibly well aged bourbon, but new underwear and groceries, etc.

Mower manic

Threads
Sorry, your question is too generic and has too many variables to be very useful...obviously one would want old antique furniture and possibly well aged bourbon, but new underwear and groceries, etc.

That was very polite, JD.
Have any ideas on why one would care about things of that nature?
Perhaps we should start a poll, asking who gives a rats but about nonsensical B.S.?
Just because....we could.
Or we could add a third button to indicate indifference, so that the OP could ponder just how that adds up.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
That was very polite, JD.
Have any ideas on why one would care about things of that nature?
Perhaps we should start a poll, asking who gives a rats but about nonsensical B.S.?
Just because....we could.
Or we could add a third button to indicate indifference, so that the OP could ponder just how that adds up.
Or, we could have a poll about whether Mower Manic is really needed on LMF! :thumbsup:

I know what I'd vote...

Just to clear things up, I meant household & garden items, such as the obvious - mowers, vacuum cleaners, televisions etc...

I should have made it clearer, and I apologise for not doing so.

Threads
I agree there are alot of variables there but old is as good as new unless you want a warranty, and some new things where not made years ago..

jamesslcx

Threads
Older stuff when I can, most newer items are just not made to last anymore.

benski

Threads
Older stuff when I can, most newer items are just not made to last anymore.

+1 on that. I'd rather have a well made older "whatever" than a newer, cheaply made POCS.:biggrin:

bigmoose

Threads
Old,,,,,= Basic tool for the job,,, no bells or whistles, not much to go wrong, New,,, Lots of goodies, safety c**p, electronics, and yes plastic... But is does seem if you are willing to buy the upper end of any product, it seems to last a lot longer, and can do a much better job. :biggrin:

jamesslcx

Threads
Hey everybody you ever notice ho thin the sheetmetal on everything is now? I've seen people put dents in a car or truck by leaning up against it! Not just vehicles but everything seems cheap for the money, you have to buy the top of the line to get any durability it seems.:frown:

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Ive done both- i bot a areator and yard roller brand new ( marked down because they didnt have the ones i wanted) - but picked up plenty of used stuff CHEEP .

A spreader/areator - $50 thrift store
Double bagger brand new - $30!
Triple bagger ( minus bags) - $10
2 scooter carbs with electric chokes - $30 ( for mod tractor project)

Depends what it is - if its cheep, i buy it.