old honda lawnmower not starting little help thanks

angellonewolf

Threads
  • / old honda lawnmower not starting little help thanks
can i say thanks for any help

i have found the engine number g100-1000591

as much details of the mower that i know its a Honda i do have a manual that i downloaded that looks the same as the one in the pic but with a lever on the handle (this i think they added at a later model) there was details of the motor being a g100 but it does not look the same if i search online but perhaps its a version of it for a mower?

please see pic the mower pic is off the internet but mine is the same

the mower will not start it came to me from a friend that said he could not get it going

i have done cleaned the fuel lines and put in new fuel and the spark plug is getting wet with fuel so i think this is not the problem

there is no spark i have taken out the spark plug and rested it on the mower body and can not see any spark

i tried another spark plug from my mower the same way on the mower body still no spark

i have checked the switch near the top of the handle and it is working it turns on and off and creates a short to earth that will stop the mower this is normal i think

the only leads i cant cheak is the spark plug lead to under the mower body and from the switch to the mower body and i dont know what is under there or what i should be looking for

someone has said condenser and points as its old poss 1980s-85

thanks for any help in advance sorry i cant give any more details on the mower or engine its old and i cant see any stamps on the engine or mower body apart from a serial number stamped on the far back of the mower deck

Attachments

• $T2eC16F,!yME9s5qF!JsBRVy6-GQ8Q~~60_1.JPG
    $T2eC16F,!yME9s5qF!JsBRVy6-GQ8Q~~60_1.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

chance123

Threads
Try removing the kill wire off of the coil. You "might" have an undetected short.

angellonewolf

Threads
Try removing the kill wire off of the coil. You "might" have an undetected short.

sorry you are going to have to explain this in stupid terms i have got to my point where i am lost i dont know that much about engines im afraid

i assume you mean the black bit my last photo ?

how would i get to it

thanks angel

angellonewolf

Threads
sorry by the kill switch you mean the thin wire that comes down to the mower engine

i will try this later

any more hints please i think this is more than just an easy fix i think i poss need to remove the pullstart and have a look under there but have taken off the nut but the large wheel will not come off so i can cheak the wires to the plug and the thin wire to the switch

any help on this will i need a bearing puller ? to remove this and is it just a case of taking it off and refiting is easy or is there bits in there that will fly every where ?

thanks for the help

BIGxMONEY

Threads
*Make sure you test the spark plug on BARE metal without any paint on it. Testing it against part of the engine works the best.

angellonewolf

Threads
i have found the engine number hope this helps a bit with any help

g100-1000591

does this have coil or is it condenser and points ?

thanks again for anyhelp angel

angellonewolf

Threads
ps i have bought a new spark plug as it was cheap anyway just to make sure its not that

but from the looks as i try a spark plug from my other mower on the engine body there is no spark

bwdbrn1

Threads
If I remember right, those little mowers had points and condenser.

angellonewolf

Threads
How do I cheak if there working do I need to get down to them and take the top off ?

bwdbrn1

Threads
I was going to offer to take that little mower off your hands, but shipping from the UK would be a bit prohibitive.:biggrin:

Besides a spark plug, have you tried a spark tester to check for spark? It can be tricky to try to pull a rope and hold a spark plug to a good ground if you're doing it yourself. It can be hard to see spark sometime in bright light. Move indoors or to shade and check, if you haven't already. Might try those first before pulling more off to check the points.

The shop manual I have shows the points and condenser under the flywheel. To pull it off, you'd be best to get a harmonic puller as there are three threaded holes in the flywheel to use for that purpose. Torque when putting it back on is 500 kg-cm (36 ft-lb) The points are under a cover, and you could check them for corrosion. the manual says to use a point file or fine emery cloth to polish the faces.

Hope that helps a bit.