Old Briggs rototiller

gtbobcat

Threads
Hi all..I have an old Briggs&Stratton that I cant start..the reason being is that I cant pull the starter rope..its real stiff...take the plug out and everything spins nice put it back in and cant pull..will turn if I go slow tho...I`m no he-man but I didn`t think I was that much of a slouch either.
This tiller is from the `70 5hp model #190400 type 0733-01 it was left outside for years but I had work done to restore it and it did run about 2 yrs ago..but with the same problem.
Anyways any thoughts ideas or hints of what to do will be greatly appreciated and TIA

noma

Threads
GT bobcat

Hi I'm thinking there may be rust in the cylinder wall and that's what holding it up,take spark plug out put some 3 and 1 oil into spark plug hole and pull string to turn engine over to get that oil around in the cylinder wall and ring once its in there let it sit a while you might have to do this a few times to get oil all around cylinder wall don't try to start it yet. If that not working maybe take head off and see how it looks in there.Put spark plug back in every time you take it out so you don't get more junk in the cylinder was that would not be good. Is the oil old and thick and cruddy making it pull hard is there water in the oil? Thing to try good luck:licking:

gtbobcat

Threads
Thanks noma...did as you advised..oil checked out... oil is old but only 10 minutes run time on it so it looked good as new...after the oil went in from the plug hole and I was done circulating it..with the spark plug only finger tight I pulled....the 1st pull wasnt as bad but then it got as bad after that, I`ll give it a few days and repeat the process...I`m leery of taking the head off......I wouldn`t know right from wrong in there, on there, or under there...LOL

gtbobcat

Threads
Victory !!!!:smile: 4 days of soaking with light oil and with it getting easier and easier...I went to try to start it...and on the 3rd pull voila...I mean its still stiff to pull...BUT I can now start it !!!! here she is in full glory
Thanks noma..that was great help

gtbobcat

Threads
well now I gotta figure out how to post pics.....sorry they didn`t show up...oh wait I think I figured it out

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 13

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not much of a job to pull the head off. I find that I can even use the old head gasket over again when
I pull a head off a small engine like that and never had a problim after.

gtbobcat

Threads
Not much of a job to pull the head off. I find that I can even use the old head gasket over again when
I pull a head off a small engine like that and never had a problim after.

Oh I`m great at taking things apart...its all the extra parts I have after I put them back together that worries me :eek: Still...unless it jumps out and bites me I would have no idea what I`m looking at. Like...how do I know its wrong when you dont know what right looks like. Maybe I should take the head off...just to learn????

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not much of a job at all. Three 1/4 in bolts that hold the flywheel cover on. Remove cover. Eight head bolts and remove head. Clean carbon off top of piston and off head. If the cylinder walls have rust clean up with find sand paper. Oil things up real well and put head back on. Put the head gasket back on the same way you took it off. Don't get too strong when you tighen the head bolts and tighen them even. Reinstall flywheel cover.

gtbobcat

Threads
Not much of a job at all. Three 1/4 in bolts that hold the flywheel cover on. Remove cover. Eight head bolts and remove head. Clean carbon off top of piston and off head. If the cylinder walls have rust clean up with find sand paper. Oil things up real well and put head back on. Put the head gasket back on the same way you took it off. Don't get too strong when you tighen the head bolts and tighen them even. Reinstall flywheel cover.

Thank you sir.. for the instructions.....I`m gonna give this a shot......at least I`ll learn something......anything else to look for? I mean besides carbon and rust