Oil

cmw

Threads
I just didn't like the purple dye in R.P....I like to be able to judge the cleanliness of my oil from looking at it and the dark color makes that a lil more difficult... I also read somewhere online that RP contains a chemical that at higher temps is a corrosive... don't know how true that is or at what temp it becomes corrosive.

One of my friends used to be real big in the racing scene. He always said that RP was a great "one day" racing oil but that you always wanted to change it once you got home. I don't remember the exact reason but this might be it. I once bought a bunch of RP gear lube to change out differentials and read some reviews once I got home. It didn't rate so well based on some of the tests so I ended up returning unopened it and buying another synthetic that was both cheaper and got better ratings.

I don't remember my exact reasoning on this either as it was a while ago.

One thing nice about oil sold for small engines is that they will contain higher levels of anti-wear additives such as zinc and phosphorous that have been reduced in emissions compliant engines. The same also applies to diesel rated oils but to a lesser extent. This is one reason why I run the Rotella. I also ran an ATV/motorcycle oil in a mower once.

turboawd

Threads
i called my dealer and he said that 20w-50 is the recommended oil now. i also read that online in some places.
20w-50 is a bit harder to find. the weight seems common in motorcycle oils, but those have the friction modifiers removed due to it being used in the transmission and clutches.
i did happen to find a "racing" oil. valvoline VR1 20w-50. the thing i like is that it has extra zinc additives, which have been stripped out of most other commonly available oils, due to emisssion reasons. zinc can plug or coat catalytic converters.

ittiNl2.jpg

Amazon.com: Valvoline VV211 VR1 Racing Formula SAE 20W-50 Turbo Approved Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle (Case of 12): Automotive
NAPA AUTO PARTS

Lawn Addict
Threads
IMO the 20w-50 is too thick for this application.

turboawd

Threads

i asked hustler direct about the 20w-50. here is hustler's response:
George, the dealer probably did not know about a bulletin Kaw recently sent out. The bulletin states in the notes that using 20-50 oil in higher ambient temperatures may reduce oil consumption. So, basically, it is for higher temperature areas of the country.

so, the fact that i only cut tall grass and run the heavier oregon blades and really work the mower, i'll use 20w-50.
if you're just doing normal mowing and not really working the mower hard, then you'll be ok with 30 or 40 weight oil.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I agree, 20w50 is way to heavy. Personally I'm not going to talk to Hustler about what oil to run in my Kawasaki engine. I'll deal with Kawasaki on that issue. Their manuals all tell you what viscosity to run according to the temperature and the API Service Classification to use and they are the SF, SG,SH,SJ or SL and they are the older classifications but you can also use the newer stuff with the SM and SN classification.
:smile: I've been using Mobil Super 5000 10w30 conventional oil seems like forever cause I'm not really a believer in synthetic but I took the ZM into the shop to have the drive oil changed (250hrs) and told them to do what ever else was needed :laughing: boy was that a mistake. They went through that thing top to bottom and they changed the hydro oil along with all the belts, gas filter, air filters the oil filter and motor oil and they used Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic. Needless to say it cost me $385 to get my mower. :laughing: Next time I'll watch what I say.

KrashnKraka

Threads
[...]
:smile: I've been using Mobil Super 5000 10w30 conventional oil seems like forever cause I'm not really a believer in synthetic but I took the ZM into the shop to have the drive oil changed (250hrs) and told them to do what ever else was needed :laughing: boy was that a mistake. They went through that thing top to bottom and they changed the hydro oil along with all the belts, gas filter, air filters the oil filter and motor oil and they used Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic. Needless to say it cost me $385 to get my mower. :laughing: Next time I'll watch what I say.

...welcome to reality, pilgrim.
I have PM'd you re: reality ... an' leave it at that, publicly.

KK

kraky

Threads
Years ago I had syn oil that had run 7000 miles in my honda pilot vehicle tested at a lab. The report said the oil was in great shape but was at the outer limit for contaminants like fuel dilution and fine metal particles.
My "Takeaway" from this was although syn oil will most likely outlast Dino oil it can't magically get rid of the contaminants. Btw...the 7000 miles weren't hwy.
So...for me my new plan on motors is any good oil...but change more often.
I believe my kaw manual says change oil every 100 hours and filter every 200.
I found 5 qts Mobil 5000 10-40 at ww for $12.85.
My plan is to change oil every 40 hours....filter every 80. Unless the oil looks really clean..then might add 10 hours. Btw...bought a 3 ft chunk of 1/2" id hose at the hardware store that makes changing really ez.
Park the unit on a side hill w/drain valve on lowest corner.... run the hose out past the tire into an old cat littler jug....didn't spill a drop or have to crawl under the machine.
I wonder how good the $12.50 kaw engine filter is.....hopefully a tad better than the average auto equiv considering the kaw recommendation of skipping every 100 hours?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ric- I guess they did everything they could to yours.. Yeoww !!!

kraky-
I spoke directly to Kawasaki (phone number is in my ZTR info packet). And I asked to speak to a tech, he said to me that yes the book says oil change every 100 hours & oil filter every 200 hours. But also said that should not be in the manual, he stated every 50 hours, or once a year if hours don't hit 50.. This I agree with, & is what I'll be doing with mine. & as long as I'm under warranty I'll be using Kaw oil & filters.

PS: Yes I did do the 8 hour oil & filter change, as should be done on a new engine.

turboawd

Threads
kraky- I spoke directly to Kawasaki (phone number is in my ZTR info packet). And I asked to speak to a tech, he said to me that yes the book says oil change every 100 hours & oil filter every 200 hours. But also said that should not be in the manual, he stated every 50 hours, or once a year if hours don't hit 50.. This I agree with, & is what I'll be doing with mine. & as long as I'm under warranty I'lkl be using Kaw oil & filters.

did you ask him about using 20w-50?