Oil spewing out of the dipstick

Coach Gates

Threads
I have a toro recycler self propelled mower with the Kohler 149 cc motor. runs like a beast. problem is recently I ran it...ot ran great, no issues, but then oil started seeping from the base of the tube. I opened the cap and oil spewed everywhere. obviously pressure. Any ideas to why?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Of course oil is going to spew out with the engine running. Think about it; the piston is moving in and out. If oil is seeping from tube base it is likely seal that has failed.

Coach Gates

Threads
Of course oil is going to spew out with the engine running. Think about it; the piston is moving in and out. If oil is seeping from tube base it is likely seal that has failed.
engine is off. no moving parts when dipstick removed. Still comes out...fast!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does the oil smell like gas. wondering if you didn't have a float valve failure causing gas to fill the crankcase.

Coach Gates

Threads
Does the oil smell like gas. wondering if you didn't have a float valve failure causing gas to fill the crankcase.
besides, wouldn't gas come out of the carb after sitting a few hours? Not a drop

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am thinking something has raised the level to were it comes out the dipstick. Gas in the oil is the most common cause for high oil level, unless somebody has added way too much oil.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It could be a stuck breather valve but of I don't these engines in the shop here. Matter of fact I don't see any walk behind mower any more. Anyways if the valve is stuck it would cause a pressure build up in the engine but as said it more common for fuel polluted oil.

The breather valve is just a flat disc with a slight spring load to make sure it closes on vacuum pulses. Old gummy oil can cause it to stick closed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by draining the oil .
Should get about 500ml ( exact amount will be in the owners manual ) .
generally you will only get around 90% of the stated amount.
IF it is more , then as previously mentioned it has ben overfilled or had a float valve failure.

Coach Gates

Threads
It could be a stuck breather valve but of I don't these engines in the shop here. Matter of fact I don't see any walk behind mower any more. Anyways if the valve is stuck it would cause a pressure build up in the engine but as said it more common for fuel polluted oil.

The breather valve is just a flat disc with a slight spring load to make sure it closes on vacuum pulses. Old gummy oil can cause it to stick closed.
So if it a fuel polluted problem, new carb should fix it (rebuilt this carb already). If it is the breather valve, how do you fix it. Great little mower, would like to fix.