OIL LEVEL

sixtz4me

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey y'all, I have a 2023 JD Z320R with 12 hours on her. I changed the oil and filter last week as it is the end of my season. My problem is, the manual calls for 2.2 qts of oil. I refilled with 2.0 qts, and it is way over full. I smelled it off the dip stick for gas but can't really tell if it's gas or just the oil I smell. Anybody else having this issue? TIA.......Billy

Update: I spoke with JD service dept, and he said "dip sticks don't lie" drain it down to F and let it go. He says I probably didn't get all the old oil out! I'm not sure if I agree because 1/2 to 3/4 qt is quite a large amount.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I always measure what I drain, old milk jug I marked the oz on.
I refilled with 2.0 qts, and it is way over full.
Have you started it up to fill the oil filter ?

Mine calls for 2.2 w/filter as well, you never get ALL the old oil out. 2 qts does mine fine w/filter.

sixtz4me

Forum Newbie
Threads
I always measure what I drain, old milk jug I marked the oz on.

Have you started it up to fill the oil filter ?

Mine calls for 2.2 w/filter as well, you never get ALL the old oil out. 2 qts does mine fine w/filter.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have started it up, and I doubt that the residual would be about a 1/2 quart.

sixtz4me

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have started it up, and I doubt that the residual would be about a 1/2 quart.
Thanks! I checked it before I drained and it was full. I poured the old oil in the empty qt. bottles and got maybe a qt. and a 1/4. I'm going to drain it again and check the consistency for gas. Although, I don't know how gas could be injected into the oil.

stuckinnj

Threads
Keep in mind, capacities are almost always stated ‘dry’. I.e no residual fluid. That’s typically 1st fill. Every now and then you’ll see see dry & service capacity stated. Not very often for small engines.

sixtz4me

Forum Newbie
Threads
Keep in mind, capacities are almost always stated ‘dry’. I.e no residual fluid. That’s typically 1st fill. Every now and then you’ll see see dry & service capacity stated. Not very often for small engines.
Thanks for the reply! I understand what you're saying, but I find it hard to believe there could be 1/2-3/4 qts of residual left behind! Maybe the .2 is possible.