Oil leak on 27hp Briggs Commercial Turf

Threads
I had the same problem with my kawasaki fx600v on a ferris, not a briggs and straton issue. I thought it was a leaking head gasket but reading above it appears to be a baseplate gasket issue that I havent heard before
A head gasket will not leak oil , BUT a Valve cover gasket will leak oil and drip under it to the side of the engine block in most cases and then down to the bottom of the engine at the base ....

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A head gasket will not leak oil , BUT a Valve cover gasket will leak oil and drip under it to the side of the engine block in most cases and then down to the bottom of the engine at the base ....
That is just BS. Anything that oil passes through can leak if damage. They rarely leak but can if the gasket is blown.

Valve covers if gasket is present can leak fairly easily. even RTV is used they can if improperly applied. But the main culprit on the 49 series is the sump gasket. I just did one last month that two places in the sump gasket that looks like expanded steel and a couple the screws were loose. It been this for while and there even sign of the two mating surface rubbing against each other. Even gasket kit had instructions to check these same two areas for warpage. I found none but I still applied MotoSeal on both sides of the replacement gasket as I installed it just in case I miss measuring wear. Torque per the enclosed instructions using the new that came the gasket kit.

Threads
I do not want to have to remove my engine until its time to put a replacement in. I did the transmission belt service and it was the most difficult procedure Ive had to do..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Then you better keep the oil checked religiously as I had a couple that refuse repair their oil leaks and they ended up needing new engines.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A leaking gasket or seal is just the same as a creek running , it erodes the sides and gets bigger over time
Then all of a sudden a big chunk comes out and then it can dump the entire sump in a few minutes .
It happens all the time .