oil leak Honda HR214 self propelled mower with GXV120 motor

BobTy

Threads
  • / oil leak Honda HR214 self propelled mower with GXV120 motor
Folks: I purchased the above mower new many years ago. It has served me faithfully and I have not been able to afraid to purchase spare parts to keep it running well. But now I have a problem that I have not experienced before--significant oil leak from the engine that makes its way under the deck and drips into the blade clutch mechanism. It is not the governor, not the valve cover and it is not lower engine seal. The air filter assembly is clean and dry. I removed the blade clutch mechanism and it was saturated with oil. Cleaned it all as best I can. The leak appears to be on the front of the engine (behind the carb). I notice a gasket there and suspect that the leak is between what I would call the sump and the engine block. Thoughts?? If that is the problem, what is involved in the fix?

Thanks in advance to all that can help.

Bob

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It could be very likely the sump gasket has failed... I've never worked on this particular engine, so you may want to wait and see what others have to say.

Chris Parman

Threads
BobTy

Post some detailed pictures of the problem area. I have rebuild two GXV120 engines in the past two years.

BobTy

Threads
Attached is a pic as best I could. Leak appears to be between the sump and engine block at the front of the engine, unless there is something above that I am missing. Pic was taken after I cleaned the area. Leaking just at the front of the engine, sides and back seem OK.

Attachments

• HONDA HR214.jpg
    HONDA HR214.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 20

Chris Parman

Threads
Attached is a pic as best I could. Leak appears to be between the sump and engine block at the front of the engine, unless there is something above that I am missing. Pic was taken after I cleaned the area. Leaking just at the front of the engine, sides and back seem OK.

Look s like oil is leaking thru the oil sump gasket. I would do a rebuild if you are very mechanically incline. If you don't know what you are doing or all thumbs with tools you are going to F it up. Or send it to me and I will rebuild it for out including rebuilding the Carburetor.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
New gasket and PTO oil seal will be needed.

Chris Parman

Threads
New gasket and PTO oil seal will be needed.

On the cheap yes. Drain the Oil, turn it upside down, remove the bolts, remove the oil sump carefully, scrap off the old gasket, clean real good. put the oil sump back on carefully so that you don't jack-up the position of the governor arm, then seat all the bolts and torque to (7.2 - 10.1 ft-lb). Also, something to consider being that the engine was manufactured in the late 80's and probably over 30 years old and going this far into the repair (which is almost half way to a complete tear down) why not rebuild?

Last edited:

Chris Parman

Threads
On the cheap yes. Drain the Oil, turn it upside down, remove the bolts, remove the oil sump carefully, scrap off the old gasket, clean real good. put the oil sump back on carefully so that you don't jack-up the position of the governor arm, then seat all the bolts and torque to (7.2 - 10.1 ft-lb). Also, something to consider being that the engine was manufactured in the late 80's and probably over 30 years old and going this far into the repair (which is almost half way to a complete tear down) why not rebuild?

BobTy

Threads
Thank you all. Recommendations do not come as a big surprise. While I have not done this repair before, I have done my share of mechanical repair over the years. It just comes at a bad time. But I will get it done. Thanks again.