Oil in Spark Plug Cylinder

rdavis0627

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just picked up a used Craftsman t1000 2007 15.5 hp Briggs and Stratton it sounded like it had a miss so I pulled the plug lots of oil in the cylinder but seems to have good compression. looking for ideas of where to start in figuring out where and why the oil is in the cylinder like that. Oh the plug I pulled out of it was a rv15yc4 which I know is not the correct plug? Thanks forward

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably an oil burner and someone put a hotter plug in to try and stop oil fouling the plug.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
More likely if the engine is an Intek OHV single cylinder engine that the head gasket is blown. One hint to this is oil in the cleaner side of the intake.

rdavis0627

Forum Newbie
Threads
More likely if the engine is an Intek OHV single cylinder engine that the head gasket is blown. One hint to this is oil in the cleaner side of the intake.
Thanks, just picked up a valve cover gasket today so was going to check valve lash adjustment so I'll take a look, is a head gasket a big job on this engine?

Forest#2

Threads
StarTech said:

You asked:
is a head gasket a big job on this engine?

Normally NO.
Lots of you tube videos about such.

You need to post the model, type and code?
from the valve cover if it's a Over Head Valve (OHV) type engine

rdavis0627

Forum Newbie
Threads
StarTech said:

You asked:
is a head gasket a big job on this engine?

Normally NO.
Lots of you tube videos about such.

You need to post the model, type and code?
from the valve cover if it's a Over Head Valve (OHV) type engine
Hi there, Forest#2, StarTech, here is the model number, type and code, 31A607, 0741 E1, 061009ZE, I did replace the head gasket it was super shot out, haven't started yet getting ready to go back at it again and finish putting it back together ran out of time yesterday.
I have more questions is the model number anywhere else on the motor? when I search for filters, it keeps showing an oil filter and I don't see a dang oil filter would like to know if this is the original engine on this darn tractor. I just want to make sure someone didn't put a rocker cover on this from another engine. There is rust on the code number, but I believe I got it right. From the rocker I figure it was made in 10/09/2006, can I find anything else on it want to make sure I am putting the right plug, oil, or other parts in it as well as like valve clearance adjustment, magneto, etc.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1702835778428.png
RC12YC spark plug.

rdavis0627

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much StarTech, it's good to have some conformation, those are the values I used, I went with 4 and 6 on the valves, I got it back together run's a whole lot better has a slight pop to it but overall, I think I did a fairly good job on my first time tinkering this far on a tractor. I probably should attach a short video and some photos and let you hear it and see what you think. I'm sure whoever threw this tractor together had to monkey with a lot to get it to start so someone like me would buy it. lol
How long before I should check the valves after doing a repair like this to verify the values?

Forest#2

Threads
Do not be too concerned about it showing a oil filter.
That same model number engine used two different sumps, one with a oil filter and one without. The oil filter type is mostly for show to make you really got something better.
Usually just use straight 30w oil. Be extra careful when tightening the taper threaded oil drain plug, you can easily crack the aluminum sump at the thread boss if you strong wrist it. The sump is little wimpy weak in that area.
Best to use about 3 layers of teflon tape on the 3/8 pipe plug and just get it snug. I sometimes install a 6 inch length of 3/8 pipe nipple and use a cap on the end of the nipple so as the oil will drain outside of the frame into a catch pan.
The valve cover is the only good info for your engine. Most likely has the correct info and is the right cover.
You got lucky that the camshaft compression release was good.

rdavis0627

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do not be too concerned about it showing a oil filter.
That same model number engine used two different sumps, one with a oil filter and one without. The oil filter type is mostly for show to make you really got something better.
Usually just use straight 30w oil. Be extra careful when tightening the taper threaded oil drain plug, you can easily crack the aluminum sump at the thread boss if you strong wrist it. The sump is little wimpy weak in that area.
Best to use about 3 layers of teflon tape on the 3/8 pipe plug and just get it snug. I sometimes install a 6 inch length of 3/8 pipe nipple and use a cap on the end of the nipple so as the oil will drain outside of the frame into a catch pan.
The valve cover is the only good info for your engine. Most likely has the correct info and is the right cover.
You got lucky that the camshaft compression release was good.
Thanks again, have good rest of your day