Oil flashes on HOUR meter

golfcraze1261

Forum Newbie
Threads
Less then 1 year old 60" Pro-Turn.. Hour meter keeps flashing OIL and OIL NOW,, I check the oil and it is full, I tried to reset the meter but still flashing OIL..????

ajwgator

Threads
I figured it out,, thx..

Can you share what you did to figure it out and share it with us. I have SENdec hour meter and it is doing the close to the same thing. When I start the engine, it flashes OIL once and then returns to the hour meter setting. Not sure why because there isn't any connection between the meter and oil sentry system. Only has a ground wire and a 12v wire coming from the ignition switch. It counts down the hours on OIL, H OIL, & Serv Air Cleaner just fine. The elapse time counter works correctly too. Thanks

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe wired thru a simple oil pressure sw normally closed to light warning on gauge?? ( Think "bulb check" on your car before engine is started?) Sounds like it may open at 12-15 psi? Is the oil level correct when this happens? If so check grounds and find sw to check continuity @ on-off? Off the top... I did find a good data base of OIL LEVEL switches at "outdoorproducts," a different warning system perhaps, but worth looking at for the curious reader.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It works off the hour meter.
At 50 hours it should flash or stay on for around 2 hours. Just a reminder to change the oil.

ajwgator

Threads
It works off the hour meter.
At 50 hours it should flash or stay on for around 2 hours. Just a reminder to change the oil.

Thanks Carscw. I went and did a bit reading on the GDI website. Global Digital Instruments (GDI) is formerly SenDEC Products Group. I didn't find the SenDEC unit that I have but can only assume the GDI units haven't changed all that much. With mine at 95.2 hours away from time to change the oil and service the air cleaner I will look for that to happen at 50 hours away mark. Are you saying that it does this flashing or stays on for 2 hrs after you turn the key off or am I interpreting that wrong?

I just recently got this Promaster 260Z last year (used) and the hour meter always just displayed 3.2 hours and never changed. I finally looked into it and it has 3 terminal connections on it with only 2 wires hooked up to it. I ended up moving the wire from the ignition switch over to the connector that wasn't connected and it started working then. As I said, when I start the engine, it flashes the word OIL for about 1-2 seconds and then displays and counts the hours. I am just assuming this is normal because I couldn't find anything on the GDI website about it.

Wondering what the third terminal is for?