*%$#&^* Oil Filter

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I only had seen oil filter to loosen here on a Briggs. But when I install the filters I put oil the mating gasket and hand tighten to max turns indicated. Lube on the gasket is necessary to prevent sticking, doesn't take much just a smear. I had filters on vehicles that were nearly impossible to remove because these gasket where not prelubed.

Also not I one Purlator filter to fail after getting hot due a factory problem where they form the cup and had produced stress cracks. The heavy held until the filter got hot then it leak quite a bit; like 2 qts on a 25 miles drive.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Something I got in the habit of doing before I install an oil filter is to remove the gasket and wipe out the channel the gasket goes in to remove any possible oil that could be there. Like ILENGINE mentioned, Kohler and others had an issue with oil getting in that channel where the gasket goes. If you install the filter with oil under the gasket over time the oil will squeeze out and then the oil filter becomes loose. We had to warranty a couple of engines due to that issue. So now I make sure the channel is oil free. I always tighten oil filters one full turn after the gasket touches the mating surface on the engine. Sometimes I can do it by hand but most of the time it takes an oil filter wrench.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
We get mowers in all the time with loose oil filters. All makes and models with all types of engines. Expansion and contraction due to heating and cooling will make the gaskets shrink and cause it to leak.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
We get mowers in all the time with loose oil filters. All makes and models with all types of engines. Expansion and contraction due to heating and cooling will make the gaskets shrink and cause it to leak.

I always hand tighten oil filters with both hands and a grunt. Never had a come back or complaint for a loose oil filter. Fill with oil, put oil on gasket, and firmly install oil filter. Easy but very important.

I also see loose oil filters from customers when servicing equipment.

GearHead36

Threads
I can understand that this could happen, but the same thermal expansion & contraction occurs with automotive engines. And I've learned over the years to tighten automotive oil filters less & less, as it usually requires a wrench to get them loose. They are ALWAYS tighter when I take them off than when I put them on.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sometimes the issue may be related to the filter itself. Had the last 3 filters in a box of 12 leak within minutes of installation. The previous 9 in the box didn't leak or the filters in the new box. My Kioti DK45S filter started leaking after 9 months and 40 hours. None of those filters were physically loose and couldn't be tightened by hand.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sometimes the issue may be related to the filter itself. Had the last 3 filters in a box of 12 leak within minutes of installation. The previous 9 in the box didn't leak or the filters in the new box. My Kioti DK45S filter started leaking after 9 months and 40 hours. None of those filters were physically loose and couldn't be tightened by hand.
In this case most likely it was a manufacturing defect such crimping the cup not tight enough. Or like the Purlator here where when they made the cup they over stretched the metal and the heavy paint hide the defect.

GearHead36

Threads
In my case, though, the filter WAS loose. The gasket was still in contact with the block, but just barely. I could move it with two fingers.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
In my case, though, the filter WAS loose. The gasket was still in contact with the block, but just barely. I could move it with two fingers.
I have seen two different riding mower engines destroyed last year due to the oil filter being too loose. Of course the filters require an oil filter wrench to remove, that’s what you want! Not being able to spin it easily with your left hand only-oil leaked out and broken connecting rod.

GearHead36

Threads
Of course the filters require an oil filter wrench to remove, that’s what you want!
Ideally, I'd like for the filter to be tight enough for me to be barely able to loosen it by hand. I've found that point for automotive filters about 80% of the time. I already have 5 oil filter wrenches, but will need a 6th to fit this filter where it's located. My mower works great, but engine access is not the greatest, and it's fuel injected, with a huge fuel pump right over the oil filter. Getting to the oil filter is a pain.