Export thread

oil filter cross reference

N

now151

does anyone know what john deere oil filter will work on a toro 708cc. i have a one of them and thought i might as well use it and save a few bucks but only if its the right one.

R

Rivets

Engine or transmission filter? Remember we are not standing there seeing what you see. Most of the techs on this site have lost their ESP powers due to either the pandemic or government interference. If engine, post engine numbers. If tranny units model and serial numbers. Post the part number of the JD filter.

N

now151

708 cc is the toro engine, thanks for the reply. the filter i have is john deere am107423 , and the correct toro # is 136-7848. ill give that a try i havent had any luck anywhere else

StarTech

StarTech

Or you could just the Kawasaki 49065-7010 or the Briggs and Stratton 692513 oil filter. But here I use B1OF243 to replace it.

StarTech

StarTech

Or you could just use the Kawasaki 49065-7010 or the Briggs and Stratton 692513 oil filter. But here I use B1OF243 to replace it.

You however may just want to give JD your spare cash.

B

bertsmobile1

FWIW there is 5/8th of SFA differance between the specs of all of the lawn mower filters which when you think about it should be no surprise.
The major difference is the size of he can itself.
Just about all of them will interchange
The only real caveat on that is the thread which may be metric 20mm ( Honda, Kubota, & some Loncins ) or Unified 3/4 .
After that they are all between 20 & 30 micron which if you know about filter media means they could all be the same paper.
All have Anti syphon valves and all have a pressure relief between 8 & 15 psi but you would have to run your mower 100% rich for 10 year to totally fill a filter to the point of blockage & the bypass opening.
If you plug the Toro number into Stens web site you come up with these specs
If you plug those numbers into the Rotary web catalogue you get the same specs & funny enough Prime Line is the same as well..
  • Thread 3/4"-16
  • OD2 11/16"
  • Height 3"
  • Micron 25
  • Made ByAn OEM Supplier
  • 9-12 PSI pressure relief
  • Anti-drain valve
  • Package of 12 of 120-634 oil filters
  • Priced per pack, sold per pack
  • Made in USA
  • However I usually fit a Briggs long to everything where it will physically fit because I buy them by the gross ( 144 filters ) and get them very cheap

R

Rivets

Unless you have the Toro engineered engine, built by Loncin, it should work. It would be a lot easier if you would have posted the engine numbers I requested, so we would have a better picture of what you have. If you have the Loncin engine it will not work.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

<snip>

After that they are all between 20 & 30 micron which if you know about filter media means they could all be the same paper.
All have Anti syphon valves and all have a pressure relief between 8 & 15 psi but you would have to run your mower 100% rich for 10 year to totally fill a filter to the point of blockage & the bypass openin

<snip>

Years ago i got some some generic filters off Ebay. They did not have the anti drainback valves. Otherwise good filters. Only used them on engines with verticle filters. Had some other generic "yellow" filters. Cut it and a yellow OEM briggs filter apart and they were absolutely identical inside. Go figure.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I use Wix or Purolater, and a 51348 on the Cub.

B

bertsmobile1

<snip>

All have Anti syphon valves and all have a pressure relief between 8 & 15 psi but you would have to run your mower 100% rich for 10 year to totally fill a filter to the point of blockage & the bypass openin

<snip>

Years ago i got some some generic filters off Ebay. They did not have the anti drainback valves. Otherwise good filters. Only used them on engines with verticle filters. Had some other generic "yellow" filters. Cut it and a yellow OEM briggs filter apart and they were absolutely identical inside. Go figure.

You compare filters with flow meters ,microscopes & electromagnetic filters & / or centrifuges .
Which is why I now get wet pants laughing when some You-Fool video appears where the fool cuts a few filters apart and does a comparison with noting more that their blind eyes.
The best you might hope to see would be an obvious manufacturing defect.
A filter made in a first world country should not have any because each & every filter is tested on the line at every stage and as they come off the line
Failures are punctured & drop into the scrap metal bin , but as they are bad feed, most would go to land fill .

StarTech

StarTech

You compare filters with flow meters ,microscopes & electromagnetic filters & / or centrifuges .
Which is why I now get wet pants laughing when some You-Fool video appears where the fool cuts a few filters apart and does a comparison with noting more that their blind eyes.
The best you might hope to see would be an obvious manufacturing defect.
A filter made in a first world country should not have any because each & every filter is tested on the line at every stage and as they come off the line
Failures are punctured & drop into the scrap metal bin , but as they are bad feed, most would go to land fill .
You would think so that Purolator oil filter I installed on PU started leaking within week. Leaking up to 2 qts in 20 miles at 55 mph. IT had two defects that they just covered up with heavy paint. Supposedly had a warranty against defects but they would not honor it.

B

bertsmobile1

Old testing machines did not have the auto punch to make a hole in the case.
This stopped defects being returned to the good line for painting & despatch for what ever reason that might be .

N

now151

thanks for all the replies. alot of good information. i believe it is made by locin. used on the exmarks also

R

Rivets

If it is the Loncin engine it will not work, the rubber seal is slightly smaller and will leak. Been there tried that, then got the Toro filter.

G

gundawg

does anyone know what john deere oil filter will work on a toro 708cc. i have a one of them and thought i might as well use it and save a few bucks but only if its the right one.
I did allot of research on this and only found two oil filters other than the Toro oil filter that will not present a problem, One was an Wix filter (forget the number) and the other was a Fram XG4967 which is the premium Fram filter. I'm not a fan of the cheaper Fram filters but this is a very good filter, The Wix filter I could not find on line to order, but did order the Fram from Walmart. The problem with other filters with the same dimensions and specs is that the set-back of the mounting threads is not far enough back and my cause the seals to not properly tighten down on the oil filter mount thereby prune to causing leaks. The 708 Toro engine is made by Lucin the same company that makes some BMW motoercycle engine. Although a Chines company, they do make excellent engines for other companies to their specs including some Honda engines. The Toro 708cc engine is also the smae as the Exmark 708cc engine. The Fram XG4967 has been on my Toro now for a few months with no problem.

N

now151

thanks for the advice. my biggest concern with the locin 708cc engine is whether it has a metal camshaft gear or a nylon gear. there have been alot of failures with nylon camshaft gears from different manufactures. i cant find any info to prove this one way or the other. the locin 708cc engine number is LC2P77F

R

Rivets

Any Loncin gears I have seen, which are very few, are metal.

N

now151

theres a couple of youtube video explaining the exmark and toro 708 cc engine that shows a nylon gear on them but they were produced those videos in 2015. thats why im hoping its not so and they have changed them. nylon gears seem to never work no matter what maker .

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

found a Loncin parts diagram PDF for that engine, cam part number is 140020072-T390 , but that didn't lead me anywhere, but like Rivets said, i believe they all use metal gears.

N

now151

Toro V-Twin Engine - YouTube check this video out if your able to by this link. it was posted in 2015

R

Rivets

Looked up a couple of Loncin 708cc engines and I did find that the camshaft gear was plastic, so my previous post was wrong.

B

bertsmobile1

Never had a Loncin apart so no comment about what is inside .
However what I will say is one of the big problems with design that prevents advancement is pig ignorant materials bigatory from people with no understanding of materials technology.
If you look at technical publications from the early 1900's you will see the authors pilloring makers for using that rubbish aluminium for pistons in place of the quality cast iron which every one knows is better .
Then there was the shift from cast iron or bronze heads to that cheap & nasty aluminium that every one knows is too soft and will melt under the heavy heat loads.
The bias about plastic gears is just as ignorant and out of place.
If a metal cam / crank fails, that is OK these things happen
If a plastic one fails it is because that moungrel cheap factory is deliberately using inferiour materials in order to make the engines fail quickly to sell more engines.
Don't you love conspiracy theories .
Not with standing that there were teething problems with using ENGINEERING plastics in engines , just the same as a lot of aluminium pistons had to fail before they came up with the 13% Silicon alloy universally used now days for cast pistons.

N

now151

very well spoken, there's always a lot more to something than what meets the eyes. it might be that the formula they use now is totally different and has been learned by the past failures. im sure in most cases an engine with a metal cam gear does alot more internal damage ,where a failure with nylon gear might be a better chance of repairing. now nylon governor gears are always used it seems like.