oil filter cross reference

now151

Threads
does anyone know what john deere oil filter will work on a toro 708cc. i have a one of them and thought i might as well use it and save a few bucks but only if its the right one.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine or transmission filter? Remember we are not standing there seeing what you see. Most of the techs on this site have lost their ESP powers due to either the pandemic or government interference. If engine, post engine numbers. If tranny units model and serial numbers. Post the part number of the JD filter.

now151

Threads
708 cc is the toro engine, thanks for the reply. the filter i have is john deere am107423 , and the correct toro # is 136-7848. ill give that a try i havent had any luck anywhere else

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or you could just the Kawasaki 49065-7010 or the Briggs and Stratton 692513 oil filter. But here I use B1OF243 to replace it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or you could just use the Kawasaki 49065-7010 or the Briggs and Stratton 692513 oil filter. But here I use B1OF243 to replace it.

You however may just want to give JD your spare cash.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW there is 5/8th of SFA differance between the specs of all of the lawn mower filters which when you think about it should be no surprise.
The major difference is the size of he can itself.
Just about all of them will interchange
The only real caveat on that is the thread which may be metric 20mm ( Honda, Kubota, & some Loncins ) or Unified 3/4 .
After that they are all between 20 & 30 micron which if you know about filter media means they could all be the same paper.
All have Anti syphon valves and all have a pressure relief between 8 & 15 psi but you would have to run your mower 100% rich for 10 year to totally fill a filter to the point of blockage & the bypass opening.
If you plug the Toro number into Stens web site you come up with these specs
If you plug those numbers into the Rotary web catalogue you get the same specs & funny enough Prime Line is the same as well..
  • Thread 3/4"-16
  • OD2 11/16"
  • Height 3"
  • Micron 25
  • Made ByAn OEM Supplier
  • 9-12 PSI pressure relief
  • Anti-drain valve
  • Package of 12 of 120-634 oil filters
  • Priced per pack, sold per pack
  • Made in USA
  • However I usually fit a Briggs long to everything where it will physically fit because I buy them by the gross ( 144 filters ) and get them very cheap

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you have the Toro engineered engine, built by Loncin, it should work. It would be a lot easier if you would have posted the engine numbers I requested, so we would have a better picture of what you have. If you have the Loncin engine it will not work.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
<snip>

After that they are all between 20 & 30 micron which if you know about filter media means they could all be the same paper.
All have Anti syphon valves and all have a pressure relief between 8 & 15 psi but you would have to run your mower 100% rich for 10 year to totally fill a filter to the point of blockage & the bypass openin

<snip>

Years ago i got some some generic filters off Ebay. They did not have the anti drainback valves. Otherwise good filters. Only used them on engines with verticle filters. Had some other generic "yellow" filters. Cut it and a yellow OEM briggs filter apart and they were absolutely identical inside. Go figure.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I use Wix or Purolater, and a 51348 on the Cub.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
<snip>

All have Anti syphon valves and all have a pressure relief between 8 & 15 psi but you would have to run your mower 100% rich for 10 year to totally fill a filter to the point of blockage & the bypass openin

<snip>

Years ago i got some some generic filters off Ebay. They did not have the anti drainback valves. Otherwise good filters. Only used them on engines with verticle filters. Had some other generic "yellow" filters. Cut it and a yellow OEM briggs filter apart and they were absolutely identical inside. Go figure.

You compare filters with flow meters ,microscopes & electromagnetic filters & / or centrifuges .
Which is why I now get wet pants laughing when some You-Fool video appears where the fool cuts a few filters apart and does a comparison with noting more that their blind eyes.
The best you might hope to see would be an obvious manufacturing defect.
A filter made in a first world country should not have any because each & every filter is tested on the line at every stage and as they come off the line
Failures are punctured & drop into the scrap metal bin , but as they are bad feed, most would go to land fill .