Repairs oil coming out the exhaust

jayres11

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a used Simplicity express. It is a couple years old. It ran fine where I bought it, but I got it home and the next day started to mow the lawn. I made one pass and a big puff off white smoke came from the exhaust and the engine stalled. I checked the oil and it is now a little low. The mower starts and runs but there is still some oil coming from the exhaust. I checked the breather hose, it appears to be working properly. Could it be the head gasket? Don't want to tear into the motor if I don't have too. What should I check next?

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
You could have leaky valve systems, or worn engine rings and valve guides. Or the oil was overfilled and in some cases overfilled oil will spew out the exhaust. Or if your on a slope the carburetor is on the 'down' side.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Results manual, parts list, wiring schematics your tractor. Post model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx from engine, thanks.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jay, Not familiar with your machine, so can only comment on my Intek and general experience. I have had engines where heavy oil flow to valves required valve seals to keep oil out of the combustion chamber. The Intek has an oil seal pushed onto the top of the exh valve guide. I do find this puzzling as very little oil flow is directed to the valves , and infact more flow would help in cooling the head. When the covers are removed only about a tablespoon of oil drains off so I think only a mist is provided. Anyway, if the guides are worn even the mist can be pulled into the chamber and burned, producing smoke. As noted other wear can result in smoke. I have seen guide wear which would allow (detergent) oil to cut channels in the carbon coating the exhaust port.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
What engine fitted if a couple of years old?
Is your air filter or carb full of oil?

Never heard of valve seats causing this kind of problem!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Jay,

It could be caused by a head gasket or piston rings or the valve seats. We'd recommend taking it into a dealer to have it looked at. This link will take you to our convenient dealer locator (https://www.simplicitymfg.com/eu/en/support/dealer-locator). We hope this helps!

-SimplicityMFG

I agree with you on this and have seen the same situation and suggested the same thing you just did. Didn't you know that everybody that is on this forum are master mechanics with a complete shop full of tool and equipment, I know because I have been told so. You don't know the nasty responds I got when I have suggested that they take their mower to a repair shop. I find it quit often they have no idea what they are talking about. Then also I do find some very good information and repair manuals. So just set back and take the good with some of the bad and have a good time with it. By the way Welcome to the forum