Oil coming out of breather tube

Ranamow

Threads
Thanks for your insight. Inspection of the breather is next.
Yes, my 20 year old briggs started leaking through the breather tube. It ran fine but made a mess. I pulled the breather of and found the gasket was split. I didn't have one so i used some rtv and no leak ever since.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got it from a guy, and it most likely sat outside for at least 3 years. I hear ya on the oil level but I double and triple checked the engine specs. 20 ounces.
I hear you. Again try to get a measured 20 in there. Most spec at 18. Long as the little fella' is full, you are good.

slomo
Checked and it's fine.
How did you check it?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Shut off valves are band aids, not repairs. Once you forget to shut it off you’re back to square one. Best to fix it right the first time. Done by people who are not responsible for their repairs on other peoples equipment.
I agree mostly but for me, I don't want my oil contaminated with gas. I'm a cheap POS, LOL. I recommend a shutoff on every mower. Simple insurance......

slomo

Megalosdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks!

I have a Toro 20374 recycler with a no name engine. At first I was getting frothy/foamy oil out of the breather tube. Now it just looks like regular oil coming out. There is a small amount of smoke too.

Oil level is correct at 20oz. Do you folks have any ideas as to what the problem may be? Carb is tight, muffler not clogged next step for me is checking the head gasket.
You either have a bad head gasket, or too much oil/ needle valve sticking and allowing gas to sink down into the crankcase. Also, once in a blue moon your air filter will be so dirty that instead of pulling fresh air through the filter, it will take the path of least resistance and pull through the crankcase breather.

themikesell

Threads
I hear you. Again try to get a measured 20 in there. Most spec at 18. Long as the little fella' is full, you are good.

slomo

How did you check it?
Measured out in a measuring cup.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, my 20 year old briggs started leaking through the breather tube. It ran fine but made a mess. I pulled the breather of and found the gasket was split. I didn't have one so i used some rtv and no leak ever since.
If the air filter gets plugged up, it can and will pull from the breather tube. Make sure the air filter is premo.

slomo