Oil coming out of breather tube

themikesell

Threads
Hi folks!

I have a Toro 20374 recycler with a no name engine. At first I was getting frothy/foamy oil out of the breather tube. Now it just looks like regular oil coming out. There is a small amount of smoke too.

Oil level is correct at 20oz. Do you folks have any ideas as to what the problem may be? Carb is tight, muffler not clogged next step for me is checking the head gasket.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also, check the oil level to see if it is overfilled before tearing the head off.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
20 ounces sounds over full like Rivets said on a small push mower. I would love to see someone put 20 in and be exactly full. Most of the time you are lucky to get 15 in.

Also could be water in the oil. Is the mower kept outside in the weather? Getting warm in the day and cool/cold at night now. Condensation alert.

slomo

Born2Mow

Threads
Let me guess...
You just took it out of winter storage and started it. That's when the problem surfaced. Is that correct ???

If so, then you left fuel in the mower and the manual fuel shutoff was left in the ON position, OR the automatic fuel shutoff has failed. You CANNOT leave fuel in the tank of any small engine over winter. Some fuel has entered the engine where it has diluted the engine oil, AND raised the oil level to the height that some was pushed out the breather.

Do Not start the engine again !! Change the oil and filter IMMEDIATELY !!!

>> If you have an automatic fuel shutoff, then you should add a manual shutoff to the fuel line and start using it RELIGIOUSLY. You can get these at ANY lawn equipment store, Home Depot, or Amazon for $6-$8.

kkNKkyJ.jpg

themikesell

Threads
Let me guess...
You just took it out of winter storage and started it. That's when the problem surfaced. Is that correct ???

If so, then you left fuel in the mower and the manual fuel shutoff was left in the ON position, OR the automatic fuel shutoff has failed. You CANNOT leave fuel in the tank of any small engine over winter. Some fuel has entered the engine where it has diluted the engine oil, AND raised the oil level to the height that some was pushed out the breather.

Do Not start the engine again !! Change the oil and filter IMMEDIATELY !!!

>> If you have an automatic fuel shutoff, then you should add a manual shutoff to the fuel line and start using it RELIGIOUSLY. You can get these at ANY lawn equipment store, Home Depot, or Amazon for $6-$8.

kkNKkyJ.jpg
You couldn't be more wrong. But thanks.

themikesell

Threads
20 ounces sounds over full like Rivets said on a small push mower. I would love to see someone put 20 in and be exactly full. Most of the time you are lucky to get 15 in.

Also could be water in the oil. Is the mower kept outside in the weather? Getting warm in the day and cool/cold at night now. Condensation alert.

slomo
I got it from a guy, and it most likely sat outside for at least 3 years. I hear ya on the oil level but I double and triple checked the engine specs. 20 ounces.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The correct oil level is just below the sump gasket
Lots of mowers end up with the wrong dip stick in them
There are really only 3 reasons why oil will blow out of the dip stick tube.
Noting that when running it should spit a bit.
In order of my experience
1) sump too full
2) blown head gasket ( includes busted rings & holed pistons )
3) faulty crankcase breather