Oil Additives

scewter54

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks, new member with first post.

Purchased a new Cheetah from a dealer recently and am getting ready to change the oil/filter for the first time. It's powered by a Kawasaki FX850V, 31hp, air cooled engine and is a real treat to cut with. I'm very impressed with the machine - but to be honest I haven't had much experience with ZTs before this one. Current plan is not to use it commercially, but that may change over time.

Any recommendations on using oil additives or treatments such as Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer?

Any suggestions/techniques/best practices would greatly appreciated - i.e synthetic oils (?), or tips for making preventive maintenance easier.

Thnx in advance

Scott

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never been a big fan of the new synthetics, oil additives, or oil stabilizers. I'm a bit old fashion and have always felt that if you change your oil at the proper intervals, with a good quality oil, you won't have a problem. I have always told people to spend their money on an hour meter and use it religiously to set your change intervals. Hours used are a better indicator than anything else to go by. A lot of people on this forum will disagree with me, but that's my opinion.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll go along with Rivets. Your primary concern with a new engine is to use what the engine manufacturer recommends and at the recommended intervals with an engine under warranty. They may suggest synthetic engine oil but I would break the engine in on dino oil and use dino oil for 30 hours or so until the engine settles in and oil and fuel consumption stabilizes. Synthetic engine oils have a very strong detergent characteristic which in some engines adversely affects the break in process.
I know several local power equipment dealers and they use dino oils. Since breakin I use synthetic oils in all the Briggs engines on my equipment and I'm pleased with it, but I do change oil at 25 hour intervals and filters at 50 hours. Air filters are another story, the 26 B&S ELS on my Tiger Cub with a collection system cruds up air filters quickly, sometimes in 15 hours!!! I buy air filters by the case for both the 26 ELS and the Vanguard 18 on my Ingersoll 4018 GT.
You need to be more concerned about fuel additives with the crap ethanol gasoline that can go bad in as little as three weeks in storage in the machine fuel tanks and engine particularly if stored in a hot shed or cargo trailer.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin:

Last edited:

scewter54

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK - thnx to all for your time and posts. Helpful and makes sense.

We're lucky to have pure gas available to us here in east tn. I use it in all my small engines.