Odd Sound From Zero Turn

seethesun

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Ferris IS700Z. I've had it for 4 years and put about 211 hours. Today there was an odd sound that started happening. This is the first time I've heard it.

It's not the typical squeaking/squealing whenever I need to lubricate. It happens with or without blades being engaged.

Last week I was mowing taller grass and ran over tree stump sticking out if the ground just a little too high. I usually manage to avoid it.

I took a recording of it. Below is the link. You'll have to replace the (dot) with a period.

It's in Google Drive and I believe I have it set to share properly but let me know if not. Thanks.

drive.google(dot)com/file/d/19qSXCEvSoclDnc4hYlXp_sIBKPCN7Z5z/view?usp=drivesdk

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Ferris IS700Z. I've had it for 4 years and put about 211 hours. Today there was an odd sound that started happening. This is the first time I've heard it.

It's not the typical squeaking/squealing whenever I need to lubricate. It happens with or without blades being engaged.

Last week I was mowing taller grass and ran over tree stump sticking out if the ground just a little too high. I usually manage to avoid it.

I took a recording of it. Below is the link. You'll have to replace the (dot) with a period.

It's in Google Drive and I believe I have it set to share properly but let me know if not. Thanks.

drive.google(dot)com/file/d/19qSXCEvSoclDnc4hYlXp_sIBKPCN7Z5z/view?usp=drivesdk

Sounds like a seal barking?

I operate under the rule...

"What is most likely the problem is most likely the problem"

You bent a spindle and now something is rubbing, vibrating, hitting, binding..etc
Check levelness of all blades.

seethesun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I will check that. If that's the case can I still mow with it until I get a chance to fix it?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks. I will check that. If that's the case can I still mow with it until I get a chance to fix it?

risk of catastrophic failure? unknown

Two bolts could be broke with third ready to fail...or very little damage.

It should at least warrant a quick inspect.

If blades are off too much it will mow badly any way.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have seen customers in tears when they get told their deck is finished cause a blade had chopped it up so much it was beyond welding.

Seen a lot of the AYP stamped decks get a $ 500 repair because the owner kept on using them after cracking one of the mounting lugs on a spindle
So take the belt off. get under the deck and spin everything till you hear or see the problem.
Anything that is not splattered with cut grass green would be suspect.

seethesun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have seen customers in tears when they get told their deck is finished cause a blade had chopped it up so much it was beyond welding.

Seen a lot of the AYP stamped decks get a $ 500 repair because the owner kept on using them after cracking one of the mounting lugs on a spindle
So take the belt off. get under the deck and spin everything till you hear or see the problem.
Anything that is not splattered with cut grass green would be suspect.

Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know. I wont mow again until I check it out and fix the issue.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You said with or without blades engaged. That means it is not coming from the deck. I would go ahead and check the deck. Then check the pulleys and idlers for the drive. Then check the engine. I use a wooden dowel rod the fits my ear. Around 3/8 to 1/2 for finding bearing going out.

seethesun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay I got around to it today and I took the belt off, lifted the mower, spun all the blades and pulleys. Everything is whisper quiet.

The only thing I noticed with the blades was that the middle one would stop after a couple of spins whereas the two outer blades would continue to spin freely a little longer.

Also noticed that the middle one which is most likely the one I hit that stump with has grease coming out at the bottom.

Though I just greased it last week so I don't know if maybe that's just the old grease coming out.

Thoughts?

seethesun

Forum Newbie
Threads
You said with or without blades engaged. That means it is not coming from the deck. I would go ahead and check the deck. Then check the pulleys and idlers for the drive. Then check the engine. I use a wooden dowel rod the fits my ear. Around 3/8 to 1/2 for finding bearing going out.

Can you clarify what you mean by check the engine? It doesn't sound like it's coming from that area, but willing to check. Thanks.

seethesun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also to clarify in case it was missed. This sounds happens without the blades being engaged. So they aren't moving.

I also just had my daughter drive it with me on the deck (blades off). On one side it makes the noise (and you can feel it slightly). Stood on the other side and no sound from eirher side.

Then I tested raising the deck all the way up (5") in tall grass. It made no sound then I lowered it back down to normal 3" running over the same exact space and the sound was there.

Could it be I just didn't lube the deck pivot points enough? They don't have zerks, but if that's the issue. I plan to do that to find out, but thought I would ask if I'm heading in the right direction.

Last edited: