nuthin' runs like a Deere

Pineapple

Threads
I've calmed down somewhat, but I'm really disappointed w/ my JD L 120. I know it's not top end, but I forked over $2K plus and was expecting more than I'd gotten from a Sears rider and at least a neck n neck match w/ an Ariens (sp?) rider that I gave to my brother (which is still in use). This L 120 has been a headache w/ the soft steel steering, tie-rod breakage and pto clutches I'm replacing the 3rd unit now. I just had to take a break from the heat and mosquitoes. That's it! I've become short fused because of the temperature,blood suckers, and the six day growth of grass. I apologize for the rant. I do know that I won't buy another ' Deere mower though if/when I get around to replacing this L 120.

Jack17

Threads
Sorry to hear that...and thanks for sharing.

mowerman05

Threads
You really have to step up to at least a 300 series to get any kind of a Deere at all as far as I am concerned. Still minimal at best.

javjacob

Threads
Its not made by John Deere, its made by MTD. You have to step up to the X300 series or bigger to get a real John Deere. All of the John Deere L, La, D ...ect series are made by MTD. If you can buy it brand new anywhere other than a John Deere dealership its not a real John Deere.

Pineapple

Threads
I purchased the L 120 from a John Deere dealership (Reynold's in Noblesville, IN). The parts I've purchased from them (steering gears. pto's, fuel pump, drive belt, mower belts, etc.) came in sealed plastic bags w/ John Deere stenciled on them. As stated earlier, I knew the L 120 was at the lower end of the 'Deere family. I probably could've picked up a similarly equipped MTD for $3-500 less, but getting replacement parts wouldn't have been as easy as driving 12-13 miles to Reynold's. I do think the BS 20 hp twin that was mated w/ mower is a decent engine (just replaced oil sump and valve cover gaskets). All in all, The L 120 does a decent job of mowing 1 3/4 ac of a 2 ac lot.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
One of my customers just put her L120 out to pasture after the last mowing season. Had 800 hours on the hour meter.

javjacob

Threads
You can buy the low end JD's at the JD dealership or at Home Depot ect but the X300 series and higher are only sold at the JD dealership. JD just badges the L, La, D ect series with their name even though its just a MTD with green paint.

logan01

Threads
One of my customers just put her L120 out to pasture after the last mowing season. Had 800 hours on the hour meter.
My L120 is dedicated to mowing close to my ditch (too close for my ZT) and around the pond. It too has a little over 800 hours on it.

Jack17

Threads
L and LA series is made in Horicon, Wisconsin.
D series is from Greeneville, Tennessee.
Both JD factories.

redmondjp

Threads
You've experienced the "green with disappointment" that resulted from JD's moving downmarket into consumer-grade equipment, so they could compete with (and sell at) the box stores. In the long run, all this has done is to sour their reputation (while enriching their coffers in the short run so all good as far as the company is concerned).

I spent $1800 last year for a used GT235 that is one beast of a machine (comparable to today's X500 series). Had to do some work on it and it still needs some work on the deck, but it's definitely not consumer-grade.

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues, but you should at least for now be thankful that you don't (yet) have a bad hydrostatic transaxle - that repair will cost almost as much as you paid for the entire mower. That is one really big weak point of the lower-end Deere riders, as you can tell from reviewing these (and other) forums.