Not charging

the regulator requires 12 v input to operate so even if you have 1 v output with the red wire unplugged it could still be good. most likely the regulator is the problem though.
 
Well, I checked the two yellow wires coming from the engine to the regulator and I have 25v AC (engine running at full throttle) across them. The red wire from the regulator only has about 1v DC. So to the best of my knowledge, it's a pretty safe bet that the regulator is bad, since I'm guessing I should have somewhere around 14v DC on the red wire.

Sure looks like you know what you are doing. That would have been the way I would have tested it.
 
Well, I checked the two yellow wires coming from the engine to the regulator and I have 25v AC (engine running at full throttle) across them. The red wire from the regulator only has about 1v DC. So to the best of my knowledge, it's a pretty safe bet that the regulator is bad, since I'm guessing I should have somewhere around 14v DC on the red wire.

On some engines theres a Diode that comes from the alternator. That could be bad if your has it.
But it might be built into the regulator. not 100% sure on this without having a diagram.
 
Well, I checked the two yellow wires coming from the engine to the regulator and I have 25v AC (engine running at full throttle) across them. The red wire from the regulator only has about 1v DC. So to the best of my knowledge, it's a pretty safe bet that the regulator is bad, since I'm guessing I should have somewhere around 14v DC on the red wire.

Hey man. Good job. You got it. Good troubleshooting skills.
 
Back
Top