Not charging

Toptech

Member
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. I tried a search but was unable to find an answer. I have a 1994 Troy-Bilt garden tractor with a 16 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. I was mowing the lawn today when the battery went dead. I put it on the charger and it charged back up (13v). I finished mowing and it was low again (10v). Is there any common problem that would cause this, regulator, ect...? How can I test the system? Thanks in advance, Terry.
 
get your battery LOAD tested first to eliminate that possibility......you will have to charge it up fully and take to auto parts store or a battery place.[like interstate]....thats would be my first step......p.s. a good charge can take 20 hrs
 
if your mower has a electric pto clutch then you probably have a voltage regulator (item 501 in briggs parts list) that could be bad otherwise you will probably have to change the alternator that is under the flywheel.
 
Well, I checked the two yellow wires coming from the engine to the regulator and I have 25v AC (engine running at full throttle) across them. The red wire from the regulator only has about 1v DC. So to the best of my knowledge, it's a pretty safe bet that the regulator is bad, since I'm guessing I should have somewhere around 14v DC on the red wire.
 
Back
Top