Noise issue

lawman11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok my LA 105 is making a rattling noise when cluch is let out all the way, but you can lightly lay your foot on it and it stops. Any help would be great.:mad:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check condition of transmission drive belt and idle pulleys. It will be up inside the frame area and hard to see.

lawman11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, kinda what I thought.:thumbsup: mower only has 80 hrs but I will check that.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had same (sounding) issue on former craftsman tractor. It was the clutch linkage rod going thru a bracket on inner frame rattling away. I took a piece of small rubber hose slit it length-wise & slipped it over linkage rod, then zip tied it on. Making sure hose did not interfere clutch pedal action.

Quiet as a mouse after that. :thumbsup:

lawman11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I guess I will have to try that. I checked belt is good and tight the rod I think your talking is lose and does rattle..PS the clutch plate is lose and moves but could not get it tight, is that suspossed to be tight against the frame?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I guess I will have to try that. I checked belt is good and tight the rod I think your talking is lose and does rattle..PS the clutch plate is lose and moves but could not get it tight, is that suspossed to be tight against the frame?

Throw a bungee cord on the clutch rod & connect other end somewhere on the machine, if no more rattle, then it IS that rod. (test complete), Then you can add a piece of hose in the bracket area as previously mentioned.

I'm not aware of any clutch plate, that small round disc on side of transaxle (I think you mean) is the Brake rotor, & it should be free till clutch is fully depressed then it should be tight because the brake pads clamp down on it. It is referred to as a Clutch-Brake system.

Lawn Addict
Threads

Throw a bungee cord on the clutch rod & connect other end somewhere on the machine, then test drive mower, if no more rattle, then it IS that rod. (test complete), Then you can add a piece of hose in the bracket area as previously mentioned.

I'm not aware of any clutch plate, that small round disc on side of transaxle (I think you mean) is the Brake rotor, & it should be free till clutch is fully depressed, then it should be tight because the brake pads clamp down on it. It is referred to as a Clutch-Brake system.

BBO

Threads
If any noise or vibration starts or stops when pressing the brake/clutch it usually indicates a problem with the upper drive belt or power train.

I would take the deck off and jack up the rear to be SURE it cannot move to run over you.

Crank it and have someone partially depress the brake pedal, being careful to not move the mower off the jack!.
You will see how the brake pedal releases tension on the belt, which btw is handy to change or adjust the belt.
Releasing tension on the drive belt stops driving the transmission, thus working like a clutch.

You probably will see where the noise is coming from.
Bad idlers squeal when turning. A spring tensioner may be missing.
Worn out belt, damaged or loose pulley, adjustment needed or whatever.

All of this will not be exactly related to your exact mower, but just general information.
Cub cadet and the cheaper mowers use cheaper idlers that may not last long at all.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also check the pulley carefully.
It is not uncommon to get a small wear "flat" on the plastic pulleys which will cause a rattle as will a loose pivot or pulley spindle.