No start, and electrical strangeness

mudpie

Threads
Howdy. First post, so I hope it's in the right place. I don't know if I should post in the repair section, or the brand section.

I'm trying to get my mothers mower going...Craftsman DYT4000, 18.5hp Intek plus. Last year she had a starting problem, and I traced it to a bad starter solenoid. I replaced it with a used one off a parts mower to get through the last month of the season.

So now it's spring, and time to get the mower going, but the solenoid just clicks. I also notice the starter is smoking. I bought a new solenoid, and had the starter tested at the place I get my parts. They say it's fried, so I take the starter off the same parts mower I've got laying around.

I put on the used starter, and the new solenoid, and it still just clicks. Ok, so probably another bad starter. In the process of checking though, I notice I'm only getting 6v (+/-) to the starter when I turn the key to crank it. I've got 12v going to the solenoid, but not coming from it. I switch back to the old solenoid, still the same reading.

I've now very quickly exceeded my level of knowlege with regard to mowers. Any thoughts appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either you have a bad connection between the solenoid and starter, or the ground wire from the battery and where it hooks to the mower has a bad connection

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
ILEingine is correct. I would jump start directly to the starter to confirm, with the parking brake engaged.

mudpie

Threads
I checked earlier, and just now to verify, and this is what I've got...

12.48v at the battery, + to -
12.48v between the battery + and multiple places on the frame
12.48v at the battery side of the solenoid
5.47v at the starter side of the solenoid
5.47v at the starter

I also have continuity between both ends of the cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter. All those numbers fluctuate a little, but I think my battery is getting drained as I keep turning the key more and more to check stuff. I checked a couple hours ago and got readings very close to those.

mudpie

Threads
I tried to jump the starter directly, since I'm only assuming it's bad. Using jumper cables from the battery, I clamped the negative to the frame, and the positive to the post on the starter. It didn't engage, and sparked as if I'd clamped a positive and negative together.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That tells me that the starter is shorted directly to ground. Bad starter? If, the starter didn't spin up and engage. It will give you a good spark when doing this test.

mudpie

Threads
When I had the first one tested and found it was bad, I ordered a replacement. I put this used one on just to see if maybe I'd get lucky temporarily. Obviously it's dead too.

I'll see what happens with the new starter, hopefully tomorrow.

mudpie

Threads
It occurred to me that there was one more check I didn't do....

I'm getting less then 6v at the starter, but when I disconnect the cable from the starter, I get 12v at the end of the cable. When I reconnect it, I only get 6v again.

Obviously something with the starter, right?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct.

mudpie

Threads
I haven't got my new starter yet, but I had a thought....

I've got an 11hp industrial B & S on a water pump, and it's got what appears to be the same starter. I'm guessing there's not much variation. That motor cranks fine, so I pulled the starter and put it on the mower.

Now that it's on the mower, the mower cranks, but very slowly, and not more than a couple revolutions. It seems that compression is overpowering the starters ability to crank. If I let it sit a minute, it cranks again, presumably after compression has bled off. However, it still only cranks a couple revolutions again.

I'm lost. Again. Any thoughts appreciated.

For what it's worth, this mower ran fine last year, but it has now been sitting for 7 months. Also, the battery is new.