No spark on V twin ride on

Phil B UK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I've tried everything, but obviously haven't.
No spark to either plug.
Battery ok. Starter spins. Just no spark.
I assume as they are separate coils, both wouldn't fail. Disconnected cut out cables. Still nothing. Any ideas please 🙏

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
A little information on the engine would help us to assist. Assuming Honda V-twin. Honda has specific test procedures for their modules, and yes they can and do fail at the same time. I would actually replace both even if one had failed because normally when one fails the other will shortly.

smalltimerpm

Threads
Or maybe see if mice made them a home under the cover, or any part of the wiring for that matter. Depending on where the mowers home is, they love eating what they bed in.

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Or maybe see if mice made them a home under the cover, or any part of the wiring for that matter. Depending on where the mowers home is, they love eating what they bed in.
Take coils off, clean them up with sandpaper, ohm them out primary and secondary. Visually inspect kill wire from point to point. Use a test light and multimeter to test. Try to diagnose before just throwing parts at it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If neithe coil throws a spark with the kill wires disconnected then they are both kaput
Very very rare for this to happen unless the kill wire has received battery voltage some how
The kill circuit is a ground wire
And while you can check the secondaries, it is a moot point because they have an encapsulated hall effect trigget in the coil and it is not repairable
So it is a case of works or gets replaced
Way too many idiots on You tube instructing owners to brush a battery + wire across the kill wire terminal to check the coil as if it was a 56 Chevy with a Kettering ignition .
This of course fries the tigger chips rendering both magnetos e-waste .
Along the sme lines, before you burn up brand new ones, check the kill wire for voltage
It should be open circuit for running and ground for off .
Some times you can get a short in a brake or PTO switch that sends battery voltage down the kill wire
SO check the kill wires , brake on / brake off PTO on PTO off and seat occupied , seat unoccupied and drive in reverse and all possible combinations of the the switches

Gord Baker

Threads
What Bert said! Not for the newbie or faint of heart! Hook the safety switches back up. Try it with a shot of starting fluid just for giggles. Put all the wiring back the way you found it. Double check that.

Last edited:

Kawa

Forum Newbie
Threads
You say “disconnected cut out cables”. Does that mean you removed the wiring from all the interlocks and shutdown? My guess is there is an interlock still grounding the coils, keeping them from working. Look closer at the safety interlock wiring. But, like said before, provide more info on machine, and we can help even more.

LMPPLUS

Threads
I think I've tried everything, but obviously haven't.
No spark to either plug.
Battery ok. Starter spins. Just no spark.
I assume as they are separate coils, both wouldn't fail. Disconnected cut out cables. Still nothing. Any ideas please 🙏
Have you isolated your safety system from the ignition system ?

Freddie21

Threads
I think he meant disconnect the kill wires from the coils.