No Spark on Tecumseh 6HP H60-75524V

marsh58

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
My name is Marshall Haire. I have an older Arien's rear tine roto-tiller with a Tecumseh 6HP H60-75524V engine. I can't seem to get any kind of spark out of it. I have tried 3 different ignitions coils and 2 different spark plugs. I also have replaced the flywheel key thinking that was the issue, but still no spark. Any suggestions or questions you might ask me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Marshall

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Make sure the armature air gap is set at .010". Then remove the kill wire from the coil and check for spark. If you have no spark, bad coil. If you have spark, reattach the kill wire and check for spark. If you have no spark, your kill wire is shorting to ground somewhere. Going to have to trace the wire to find the bad spot.

Threads
Also, don't forget the basic step of checking your flywheel magnet. On occasion they fall off and or lose magnetism. If covered with rust or gunk, wire brush it off til clean.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
H60 should have points and Condenser. They are under the flywheel. Start small and either clean the points or replace the points and condenser.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks reynoldston, been working on too many CDI units and forgot about the older H-series and points. What I posted is wrong and will not tell your anything. Sorry about that. I can tell you that I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen magnet for coils go bad, just doesn't happen very often.

marsh58

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the responses. I did take the flywheel off today and there aren't any points and condenser on this model. I checked that the flywheel key and it was not sheared and then put the flywheel back on and torqued the nut that holds it on to the engine. I also bought a new ignition coil and spark plug. I now get an orange spark when testing with a spark plug tester hooked between the spark plug and the ignition coil that hooks to the spark plug. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Marshall Haire

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Find wear the kill wire from the coil junctions on the outside of the engine. Disconnect it there and see if the engine will have good spark and try to start. Let us know what happens.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Find wear the kill wire from the coil junctions on the outside of the engine. Disconnect it there and see if the engine will have good spark and try to start. Let us know what happens.

Yes isolate the kill wire. Not very much to go wrong on that system. Yes looking at it your model number it doesn't have points and condenser. You said you tried three different coils. Seeing the H series dose use points and condenser you are using a CDI style coil on your model and not mixing coils up?

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
when you installed the coils did you measure the distance between it and the magnet? if you don't have a feller gauge you can use a business card.

marsh58

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all of your replies to my message. I have consistent spark with this engine. If I ground it to metal on the engine it has good spark. I have since set the air armature to 0.10 as it was mentioned in the first reply to my message. I believe I need to replace the head gasket as it appears to be worn and cylinder head yet. I also need to torque the bolts for the cylinder head to 200 in/lbs. Once this is completed I'll let you all know that it is running well and I appreciate everyone's response in helping me revive this old roto-tiller for our garden next year. Thanks again.

Marshall Haire