Export thread

No More Oil Changes for Briggs & Stratton Engines!

ztrjim

ztrjim

Apparently Briggs and Stratton has been developing an engine that will no longer require oil changes. They say it should last the expected lifespan of the typical walk behind lawn mower, which is about 12 years. These new engines will be available on Walk Behind Lawn Mowers in early Spring of 2015. New 2015 Briggs & Stratton Engine | Top Rated Zero Turn Mower Reviews

Very interesting, I bet it is a hit with the non-gear-heads... Thanks for posting the link..

I

ILENGINE

Briggs is having a webinar on friday for its dealers to discuss the new no oil change engine, as well as the electric start push mower engine that uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that is attached to the top of the engine like whats on electric drills and such.

Boobala

Boobala

Sorry ......... I'm old school ...... RUST NEVER SLEEPS ........ and OIL WILL GET DIRTY !!
I've been in mechanics all my life , unless its an engine from the Starship Enterprise ..... if its made of metal , and parts rub against each other , you NEED CLEAN lubrication , personally I use FULL synthetic oil in my personal vehicles, I change the oil every 5000 miles BUT I change the filter EVERY 2500 miles. I also add about a pint of LUCAS oil conditioner during the oil change.
In my lawn equipment I use a synthetic blend , living in Florida , except for a few months during winter, mowing is a year round job , so I change oil about 3 times a year . Oil IS the LIFEBLOOD of an engine , in my 2 cycle equipment , I use Opti-2 synthetic oil ( 100 : 1 ) yes I stated , one hundred to one mix ratio ...... NEVER a problem , I'm extremely careful when mixing oil and fuel , NO distractions ..... Proper amounts ! ( you can look up Opti-2 on the net ) engines run cleaner , no smoke , competitive price . If you want it to last , take care of it ! :thumbsup:

M

Mad Mackie

I'm with Boobala on this!!
A small vertical shaft engine is going to use oil when operated on hills. The auto industry tried the long extended engine oil change deal years back and it came back to haunt them big time!
Mad Mackie in CT watching the snow melt!!!!:laughing::biggrin::smile:

I

ILENGINE

When they come into the shop for service they will get the oil changed here.

B

bertsmobile1

Me thinks this is a real smart sales ploy.
Not putting any oil draining mechanism makes the engine cheaper which makes the customer ( Mtd etc) happy.
It will appeal to the mechanics are thieves crowd & just mow crowd who will probably pay more for this feature.
If Briggs really had the end userin mind they would have beed fitting snorkels like Victa started to in 1958.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Sorry ......... I'm old school ...... RUST NEVER SLEEPS ........ and OIL WILL GET DIRTY !!
I've been in mechanics all my life , unless its an engine from the Starship Enterprise ..... if its made of metal , and parts rub against each other , you NEED CLEAN lubrication , personally I use FULL synthetic oil in my personal vehicles, I change the oil every 5000 miles BUT I change the filter EVERY 2500 miles. I also add about a pint of LUCAS oil conditioner during the oil change.
In my lawn equipment I use a synthetic blend , living in Florida , except for a few months during winter, mowing is a year round job , so I change oil about 3 times a year . Oil IS the LIFEBLOOD of an engine , in my 2 cycle equipment , I use Opti-2 synthetic oil ( 100 : 1 ) yes I stated , one hundred to one mix ratio ...... NEVER a problem , I'm extremely careful when mixing oil and fuel , NO distractions ..... Proper amounts ! ( you can look up Opti-2 on the net ) engines run cleaner , no smoke , competitive price . If you want it to last , take care of it ! :thumbsup:

I am not disagreeing with you on oil changes if that is what you believe in. Where I live I find that changing oil isn't going to happen for the average city type person. I really think this is a very good idea for Briggs and the type of person that isn't going to change the oil anyways. Nothing is said you can't change the oil if you want to, so just change it. I have been using the 100:1 oil mix in all my 2 cycle engines for years now without any problems only I use Amsoil. I won't get into how many miles or hours I change my oil because we would be disagreeing on that one and we won't change each others mine so why try. Oil has come a long ways since I started working on cars. Yes I also have been a mechanic all my working years and still doing it part time now that I am in my mid 70's.

I

ILENGINE

This will actually be a good idea for some people. The type that never change there oil anyway.

This will actually be a good idea for some people. The type that never change there oil anyway.

Like my neighbor down the way, I mentioned this to him today, & he told me his 8 yr old push mower still has the original oil (black goo) in it.. :laughing:

I just went away shaking my head..

B

bertsmobile1

I am not disagreeing with you on oil changes if that is what you believe in. Where I live I find that changing oil isn't going to happen for the average city type person. I really think this is a very good idea for Briggs and the type of person that isn't going to change the oil anyways. Nothing is said you can't change the oil if you want to, so just change it. I have been using the 100:1 oil mix in all my 2 cycle engines for years now without any problems only I use Amsoil. I won't get into how many miles or hours I change my oil because we would be disagreeing on that one and we won't change each others mine so why try. Oil has come a long ways since I started working on cars. Yes I also have been a mechanic all my working years and still doing it part time now that I am in my mid 70's.

Yes Oils have come a long way but they still pick up particulates and still go acid.
It is the metallurgy that really makes the difference, followed by advances in maching that allows for closer & tighter production tolerances.
As for 2 strokes, Victa recommended 25:1 back in 1954 when the oil used was BP Energol.
They still recommend 25:1 but I put 50:1 in every thing using Stens 2 stroke oil and have seen no problems to date.
I would think of going leaner but too many engines have fixed jettings so by the time you get to 100:1 the fuel mix would be getting a lot thinner so running rich and getting a clean burning plug now days is hard enough as it is with the rubbish sold as "fuel".
Had this problem in the 70's with a JAWA motorcycle that was jetted for 8:1.
Ended up running it on 25:1 but had to replace the carb.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Like my neighbor down the way, I mentioned this to him today, & he told me his 8 yr old push mower still has the original oil (black goo) in it.. :laughing:

QUOTE]

Believe me it's more then the neighbor down the way that do this. They don't even have a pan to catch the old oil in. Then on top of that they don't own a grease gun. Then then they cry when they have to take the mower to a shop to replace a blade spindle for 200 dollars.

I

ILENGINE

I posted some additional info on this engine in the equipment news section. But the thing with no oil changes will be dependent on proper air filter, and spark plug maintenance.

So from a repair shop standpoint this engine changes nothing. Since the people that don't maintain there oil now also don't maintain the air filter. Dirty air filters will be the killer of this engine as well as the oil, which will need changed due to dirt contamination.

Believe me it's more then the neighbor down the way that do this. They don't even have a pan to catch the old oil in. Then on top of that they don't own a grease gun. Then then they cry when they have to take the mower to a shop to replace a blade spindle for 200 dollars.

That is the truth in a nutshell Sir...

To me oil & grease are about the cheapest costs to invest in to keep em right..

Michael72

Michael72

The amount of mowers I see that have never seen fresh oil is unbelievable.... they know it needs it...but will give some to the car but thats it...then you have to listen to moanathon about how expensive new mowers are :confused2: I change mower oil 3 times a year for what it costs.. I cannot comprehend folks lack of attention to any machine! :rolleyes:

I'll be sticking to my oil machines but im sure it will have appeal to those that already think lawnmower engines dont need any oil! :)

B

bertsmobile1

The amount of mowers I see that have never seen fresh oil is unbelievable.... they know it needs it...but will give some to the car but thats it...then you have to listen to moanathon about how expensive new mowers are :confused2: I change mower oil 3 times a year for what it costs.. I cannot comprehend folks lack of attention to any machine! :rolleyes:

I'll be sticking to my oil machines but im sure it will have appeal to those that already think lawnmower engines dont need any oil! :)

I fixed that about 3 months into the business.
A friend sells old advertisements so I got him to do a blow up of a 1959 Victa 18 ( my dads first petrol mower ), which hangs in a prominent place in the shop.
I tell them this was the first petrol mower I ever repaired then draw their attention the the price which was 35 guines
and the retailer was offering 2,3 or 5 years "easy repayments".
Kills the wallet wailing stone dead.

I fixed that about 3 months into the business.
A friend sells old advertisements so I got him to do a blow up of a 1959 Victa 18 ( my dads first petrol mower ), which hangs in a prominent place in the shop.
I tell them this was the first petrol mower I ever repaired then draw their attention the the price which was 35 guines
and the retailer was offering 2,3 or 5 years "easy repayments".
Kills the wallet wailing stone dead.

:thumbsup: That'll do it, for sure...

M

Mikel1

My father doesn't change oil or oil filter in his riding mowers ever, also don't think he changes it in his atvs. I have told him at least five times this month that if he bought the oil and filter that I would do it. Still no response, I give up. I imagine there are lots of people like this.

My father doesn't change oil or oil filter in his riding mowers ever, also don't think he changes it in his atvs. I have told him at least five times this month that if he bought the oil and filter that I would do it. Still no response, I give up. I imagine there are lots of people like this.

I could name a few..

Rokon

Rokon

This has been tried before. 'Vapoorize, Don't scoop the poop'

Michael72

Michael72

:laughing:....My old man is the same....no matter how much I tell him, no good... Might as well be telling the cat....if the car bursts into flames at the side of the road then he might act!...as for fresh oil in a mower...nerver going to happen :confused2:

highlift60

highlift60

I'm calling BS on this one. No way any engine no matter how it's designed can live on old oil all its life. Leave it to Briggs to put another nail in their brand's coffin.

Michael72

Michael72

I'm calling BS on this one. No way any engine no matter how it's designed can live on old oil all its life. Leave it to Briggs to put another nail in their brand's coffin.

It prob could....but a short life :)....an engine with no oil in it gives me the heebie jeebies!

M

Mikel1

:laughing:....My old man is the same....no matter how much I tell him, no good... Might as well be telling the cat....if the car bursts into flames at the side of the road then he might act!...as for fresh oil in a mower...nerver going to happen :confused2:

Looks like my father is not alone. The irony is that he changes the oil in his truck & suv like clockwork.:confused2:

Michael72

Michael72

I told him bout two months ago that his car was low on oil....checked it today....no improvements. straight gas in concrete saws I dont know how many times!...Clever man to say the least but this whole engine care thing is not sinking in! He has often given me a genny etc only to take it back when its fixed when im not around!!!!:mad:

reynoldston

reynoldston

I told him bout two months ago that his car was low on oil....checked it today....no improvements. straight gas in concrete saws I dont know how many times!...Clever man to say the least but this whole engine care thing is not sinking in! He has often given me a genny etc only to take it back when its fixed when im not around!!!!:mad:

I know I sure like a Genny now and again, but I drink mine (Genny beer :licking:)

Michael72

Michael72

Never heard of it till now!...Now I really want a beer...but none in fridge....the Horror!

:drool:

reynoldston

reynoldston

Genesee Beer, nick name Genny. Genesee Brewing Company located in Rochester NY next to the Genesee river. Just like the Ferris Mower made in NY state and they are both the best.:thumbsup:

OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Yeah that doesn't sound like a good idea but if it comes out and is the new top seller I wouldn't be surprised.

The people who never take care of their stuff are too funny. And they are all too common these days.

I like taking care of my equipment by replacing the parts I can and doing tune-ups. There's a rewarding satisfaction to it. Atleast for me and most of us here I assume.

I have a neighbor that asked me how I get my cut so good and what kind of mower I use. I asked him when the last time he sharpened his blade was... I got the wrinkled forehead blank stare from him...

Michael72

Michael72

Lol....Had a mower in yesterday with a blade as sharp as a banana....and upside down....dribble of oil....air filter looked like something was living in it!...thank god there is folk like this...all the more work for me :)

S

slow84ta

My Briggs 22" push mower hasn't had an oil change since I've owned it in 7 years, mind you I do only need to cut my grass 8-10x a year, mostly weeds! :thumbsup:

Not a matter of how little the use is, rather an issue that over time the oil additives break down & the oil then starts becoming acidic.

But good for you, look at the money saved from not changing probably 20 oz of oil, each time.

I never go longer than one year, but that's me.

reynoldston

reynoldston

My Briggs 22" push mower hasn't had an oil change since I've owned it in 7 years, mind you I do only need to cut my grass 8-10x a year, mostly weeds! :thumbsup:

You aren't alone on this. That is why the Briggs & Stratton no oil change is a good idea. Not saying there is anything wrong changing oil once year for the people that want do that.

S

startrite

Apparently Briggs and Stratton has been developing an engine that will no longer require oil changes. They say it should last the expected lifespan of the typical walk behind lawn mower, which is about 12 years. These new engines will be available on Walk Behind Lawn Mowers in early Spring of 2015. New 2015 Briggs & Stratton Engine | Top Rated Zero Turn Mower Reviews

Change the oil once per season and the engine will last you 20 years for the average homeowner who uses their mower 2 or 3 hours per week per season. These engines don't have an oil filter to take the grit out of the oil. Briggs and others use this as a selling point of convenience. If you blow the engine up after the two year warranty, their hands are clean of any warranty work and you get to buy another engine from them!

turbofiat124

turbofiat124

An engine you never have to change the oil? Yeah, they call it a 2 stroke!

My guess is it has some "long life" synthetic oil in it. Considering I had one B&S throw a rod after 5 years and the one on my Craftsman is 6 years old and is using oil with less than 500 hours on it, I seriously doubt a B&S would even make it 12 years....

R

RoofTopPigeon

Briggs and Stratton is now saying that; You can determine the Proper Oil Viscosity
for your 4-Cycle Mower; By Evaluating your Local Climate's
Average Outdoor Temperatures During your Mowing Season.

They State that Their Small Engine Oil Type Recommendations are:

•Use SAE 30 in warmer temperatures of 40°F and higher

•Use SAE 10W-30 for a varying temperature range of 0ºF to 100°F

• Use a Full-Synthetic 5W-30 Oil if your Mowing Season often sees temperatures above 100ºF Such as Arizona and Nevada

•For Continuous-use, and Commercial Lawn mowing use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (in Weather temperatures of 20°F to 130°F)

For those who would like to read it for themselves;
This was all found right from Briggs and Stratton website:

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...-capacity.html