no fuel

bebuzz69

Threads
i have a kawi. motor, i pulled the fuel pump and the plunger won't move when i turn it over.
also it won't start on spaying starter fluid in carb.i know you will want the numbers on it but i can't find any/
its off a john deer mower and its water cooled.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull a rocker cover and see if the valves move when you crank it. Is it older than 1998? If it is plastic cam may have busted. How many hours on it?

bebuzz69

Threads
thanks never thought of that.
don;t know how many hours ; meter broke.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those engines made before 1998 had plastic cams that around 800-1000 hrs lets go. Not a matter of if but when. Complete "cam" kits were available to repair them. Usually the water pump gear gets broken too. If you are not familiar with rebuilding small engines might be a bit daunting. It takes me about 2 full days to do one start to finish so between the kit and labor i am around $800-900 to do one. Not counting what else you find wrong with the mower. Most shops won't even consider doing a rebuid. Just as cheap for them to just replace the engine vs parts, labor and warranty. Not sure if this kit is the one you need if the cam is gone. You may have to do some research.

bebuzz69

Threads
thanks, another for the scrap yard after i take off what i can use.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's a pretty decent machine. Hard to replace that these days for any reasonable money. If it's still in decent condition I'd look into a motor replacement before scrapping it.