Export thread

No crank or spark

navydad2022

navydad2022

Did a little trouble shooting as much as I could,no crank or spark.checked voltage at starter and it has 12.89 and at solenoid connection the same Voltage, any suggestions on this please.Snapper mower 281223BVE also checked ignition switch

shadetree#1

shadetree#1

Try using a jumper cable to the starter so as to bypass all and see if it cranks. You can do this with the key off. (using your mower battery or a automotive battery)
I make a good connection at the starter stud or solenoid stud FIRST for the pos and do the ground last. this reduces the chance of arcing the threads on the starter or solenoid.
let us know the results of the test.

navydad2022

navydad2022

Try using a jumper cable to the starter so as to bypass all and see if it cranks. You can do this with the key off. (using your mower battery or a automotive battery)
I make a good connection at the starter stud or solenoid stud FIRST for the pos and do the ground last. this reduces the chance of arcing the threads on the starter or solenoid.
let us know the results of the test.
I'll attached the positive to starter stud and negative to ground in body?

navydad2022

navydad2022

I'll attached the positive to starter stud and negative to ground in body?
Hello shadetree#1
I was to jump start the starter and does turn engine over to start.

shadetree#1

shadetree#1

You might consider:
Charge up the lawn tractor battery, let it set 24 hours then if you do not have a battery load tester take the battery to O'reillys or a auto shop for a free battery test.
If you do not have a battery charger just take it as is and probably have to leave it for few hours for the load test. Best to not charge them small batterys at more than about 6 amps or they get hot and shortenes their life span sometimes.

navydad2022

navydad2022

I bought a new battery that is pushing out 12.89 at the solenoid.l think the switch or solenoid is not passing current to starter because l didn't have spark . would it be safe to say to get new switch and solenoid?

navydad2022

navydad2022

Hello shadetree#1
I was to jump start the starter and does turn engine over to start.
Yes,it turn the engine over to start.

shadetree#1

shadetree#1

Are you saying that the engine cranks over fast with your new battery but the spark plug is not producing a spark when looking at the spark plug with it removed from the cylinder or ???????????????

Or it's not cranking over fast with your new battery but cranks over fast using the jumper cables connected to the starter???

Give us a clue?

M

mechanik9591

Did a little trouble shooting as much as I could,no crank or spark.checked voltage at starter and it has 12.89 and at solenoid connection the same Voltage, any suggestions on this please.Snapper mower 281223BVE also checked ignition switch
Well I would start with voltage and I think you did. Does your starter have 12 volts running yo it? Are you a le to jump the starter solinoid?.if it does turn over then I would say that it might have something to do with you safety mechanisms that keep it from starting (in gear or your propellers are invaded. Start with that and check all fuses goodluck

navydad2022

navydad2022

Well I would start with voltage and I think you did. Does your starter have 12 volts running yo it? Are you a le to jump the starter solinoid?.if it does turn over then I would say that it might have something to do with you safety mechanisms that keep it from starting (in gear or your propellers are invaded. Start with that and check all fuses goodluck
Yes, jumped started the starter and cranks to start,At first l didn't have spark at plug, my thoughts are that it could be the switch not letting spark to starter and is grounding out.l test check the solenoid and it engages or clicks .also l think you or probably right on safety switch not letting it spark.Thank you

navydad2022

navydad2022

Yes, jumped started the starter and cranks to start,At first l didn't have spark at plug, my thoughts are that it could be the switch not letting spark to starter and is grounding out.l test check the solenoid and it engages or clicks .also l think you or probably right on safety switch not letting it spark.Thank you
Also starter has 12.89 volts at the stud

shadetree#1

shadetree#1

Post up the Make, model, type of the engine on your snapper RER and maybe we can tell you how to disconnect the magneto kill wire for a spark test. Remove all the spark plug wires to look for spark and to make sure the engine does not start/run BEFORE you disconnect the magneto kill wire,

This test will maybe indicate whether you have a bad magneto or a external ground on the kill wire. (like a safety switch indicating that the mower is in gear or the PTO en-gauged

navydad2022

navydad2022

Post up the Make, model, type of the engine on your snapper RER and maybe we can tell you how to disconnect the magneto kill wire for a spark test. Remove all the spark plug wires to look for spark and to make sure the engine does not start/run BEFORE you disconnect the magneto kill wire,

This test will maybe indicate whether you have a bad magneto or a external ground on the kill wire. (like a safety switch indicating that the mower is in gear or the PTO en-gauged

Briggs and Stratton 21A907-0124-E1 Engine and mower is​

Briggs and Stratton 21A907-0124-E1 Engine and my mower is snapper 281223BVE​

shadetree#1

shadetree#1

read post #13 and report results of the test with the kill wire disconnected.

navydad2022

navydad2022

read post #13 and report results of the test with the kill wire disconnected.
It starts

B

bertsmobile1

That shows you have an electrical fault which is grounding the kill wire ( grounded = stop , open circuit = go )

navydad2022

navydad2022

That shows you have an electrical fault which is grounding the kill wire ( grounded = stop , open circuit = go )
I did a little testing today,checked the ignition switch and the solenoid and it tested good and still no cranking.The starter doesn't turn over .Is there a way to test the starter to make sure it's good.

navydad2022

navydad2022

I did a little testing today,checked the ignition switch and the solenoid and it tested good and still no cranking.The starter doesn't turn over .Is there a way to test the starter to make sure it's good.
I'm thinking it's a grounding short.what would keep the engine from cranking (solenoid).l energized the solenoid and checked the post for continuity and it toned out checking contact from post to post while energized.

navydad2022

navydad2022

Are you saying that the engine cranks over fast with your new battery but the spark plug is not producing a spark when looking at the spark plug with it removed from the cylinder or ???????????????

Or it's not cranking over fast with your new battery but cranks over fast using the jumper cables connected to the starter???

Give us a clue?
Engine was cranking over with the spark plug out but no spark

navydad2022

navydad2022

Engine was cranking over with the spark plug out but no spark
Was cranking before,now l get nothing.checked for current at solenoid 12.79 .shadetree#1 . I'm puzzled on this.l have 12.69 at solenoid.

M

milliemar

Yes, jumped started the starter and cranks to start,At first l didn't have spark at plug, my thoughts are that it could be the switch not letting spark to starter and is grounding out.l test check the solenoid and it engages or clicks .also l think you or probably right on safety switch not letting it spark. Thank you
Most electrical problems --after safety switches-- is the ground. Ck ground attachment to frame/motor for cleanness. I always ck the ground right after Battery voltage.

S

skiman

ok...those rear engine snapper riders have a kill lead from the coil that attaches to a isolated mounting post with 2 others wires...one is from the ignition key and the other is from the safety relay that all the safety switches pass thru to kill the engine. disconnect the wire from the safety relay from the isolated wire post and see if itll start and run. youre bypassing all the safety switches that feed to the safety relay...they are close to 100 to replace if you want the safety to continue to work...this is the part that usually fails on these snappers...

R

Redcairn

I had a similar No crank issue recently with my 2018 BADBOY ZT Elite and after meter checking every connection and replacing almost every electrical component, I found the new solenoid was not lifting internally to permit the voltage to the starter, so even if the solenoid shows 12+ volt at the input side it may not be functioning internally.

navydad2022

navydad2022

Most electrical problems --after safety switches-- is the ground. Ck ground attachment to frame/motor for cleanness. I always ck the ground right after Battery voltage.
Thank you,l Will and also l'm putting in a new solenoid just in case.ls it true to say that the solenoid is in charge of cranking starter.

navydad2022

navydad2022

I had a similar No crank issue recently with my 2018 BADBOY ZT Elite and after meter checking every connection and replacing almost every electrical component, I found the new solenoid was not lifting internally to permit the voltage to the starter, so even if the solenoid shows 12+ volt at the input side it may not be functioning internally.
Thank you, I'll try it out and get back

navydad2022

navydad2022

Thank you

navydad2022

navydad2022

ok...those rear engine snapper riders have a kill lead from the coil that attaches to a isolated mounting post with 2 others wires...one is from the ignition key and the other is from the safety relay that all the safety switches pass thru to kill the engine. disconnect the wire from the safety relay from the isolated wire post and see if itll start and run. youre bypassing all the safety switches that feed to the safety relay...they are close to 100 to replace if you want the safety to continue to work...this is the part that usually fails on these snappers...
Thank you for everything on your expertise, I will certainly try that

S

sailingjk

I have a 2017 Snapper SZ2246 zero turn that I refurbished. I had to replace the diodes that are inline on each wire that connects to the magneto for each cylinder. Engine is a Briggs & Stratton Intek V-Twin 22 HP, 44N677-G10. When I turned the key off spark was still getting to plug because diodes were bad and connector on one magneto was rusted off. I was able to temporarily connect the wire while i ordered a used magneto and 2 new diodes.

Another thing I've noticed is, on occasion engine wouldn't turn over with key was in start position. I wiggled the key some and engine started. Looks like I'll be replacing the start switch before long.

I did find owner's manual and parts manual, they are pdf files. I finally located the B & S engine and parts manual from the Briggs & Stratton web site. Both manual sets leave a lot to be desired as do both web sites (my opinion as a retired software engineer and technical writer). Most of my "how to" was found by carefully watching several YouTube videos with some cursory help from manuals, mostly exploded diagrams on mower and engine.

F

Freddie21

Confused? Take a small junmper wire and go from the battery pos and touch the small connection on the solenoid. Usually it is a yellow or orange wire. If there is another small connection, it should go to ground. If the solenoid turns the starter, then all that is good. If not, then either the solenoid is not grounded good or its bad. If it does spin the starter, then there is a problem either with a safety switch or bad ignition switch.
When the engine is spinning, check for spark... probably two different issues.

navydad2022

navydad2022

Confused? Take a small junmper wire and go from the battery pos and touch the small connection on the solenoid. Usually it is a yellow or orange wire. If there is another small connection, it should go to ground. If the solenoid turns the starter, then all that is good. If not, then either the solenoid is not grounded good or its bad. If it does spin the starter, then there is a problem either with a safety switch or bad ignition switch.
When the engine is spinning, check for spark... probably two different issues.
I tested the ignition switch and it tested good,and as for the solenoid l jumped it and All it did was click,no action on starter

navydad2022

navydad2022

I have a 2017 Snapper SZ2246 zero turn that I refurbished. I had to replace the diodes that are inline on each wire that connects to the magneto for each cylinder. Engine is a Briggs & Stratton Intek V-Twin 22 HP, 44N677-G10. When I turned the key off spark was still getting to plug because diodes were bad and connector on one magneto was rusted off. I was able to temporarily connect the wire while i ordered a used magneto and 2 new diodes.

Another thing I've noticed is, on occasion engine wouldn't turn over with key was in start position. I wiggled the key some and engine started. Looks like I'll be replacing the start switch before long.

I did find owner's manual and parts manual, they are pdf files. I finally located the B & S engine and parts manual from the Briggs & Stratton web site. Both manual sets leave a lot to be desired as do both web sites (my opinion as a retired software engineer and technical writer). Most of my "how to" was found by carefully watching several YouTube videos with some cursory help from manuals, mostly exploded diagrams on mower and engine.
I can repair a lawnmower and 2 cycle, but the electrical part on riding mowers and safety switches are kinda mind blowing to me. I'm new to this,and your right with the YouTube videos.