Nice trees for shade?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is really true; in fact conclusively answers the question. I tend to also think the diversifying of a particular post helps inject life which is not a bad thing after all.

Thats the reason a forum like this is most always going to be interesting... folks from all over the world see it and can comment as to what is working, or not in their part of it..:thumbsup::thumbsup:
:smile:KennyV

monica123

Threads
Yes, it is a very diverse group of people from all walks of life and places. It is nice to get other opinions on the subjects.

Walt 2002

Threads
"I love sugar maples, scarlet maples, and sycamores. "

Sugar Maples and Scarlet Maples are beautiful trees but slow growers. My step-father told me I would be an old man when they got big enough for shade and he was right. As for Sycamores, they should never be allowed to be planted in residential areas, parks maybe. They do grow fast, are one of the dirtiest trees there is, constantly dropping twigs, huge leaves the drop of a long period, chunks of bark flak offand the roots pop up out of the ground. Got two of them next to me that the owner wants to have taken out and I have offered to help pay the expense. All trees have some sort of draw back. The hybrid (thornless) Locus trees have small leaves that "melt" away, grow fast BUT are susceptible to bag worms.

Either trees are decease/pest susceptible, have roots that pop WAY up out of the ground, grow too slowly, are brittle and break off (Bradford Pear), drop nuisance balls, (Sweet Gum) which have great shape and are colorful, or some other problem. Ash Bores for instance.

Might be better to just put up a big tent. :)

Walt Conner

touree

Threads
People the world over look at it from different perspectives allowing them relate to it. What are the gains for or against using fertilizer? I am thinking organ9ic manure would be better.

Green Girl

Threads
I see you are from Canada----I live in the Northern Rockies of the US. Maples are a good choice. There is a Rocky Mountain Maple which is native. If you live in eastern Canada, sugar Maples are all over the east. Heck, it just occurs to me-----there's a maple leaf on the Canadian flag!!

gardener

Threads
Here in Manila, I am living in a place with no yard at all... :biggrin: that is why I extremely felt envy with parents and in-laws who have big yards in their respective places. However, I am planning to have some potted plants in front of my house and looking for a tree that's leafy and grows just right.

monica123

Threads
I see you are from Canada----I live in the Northern Rockies of the US. Maples are a good choice. There is a Rocky Mountain Maple which is native. If you live in eastern Canada, sugar Maples are all over the east. Heck, it just occurs to me-----there's a maple leaf on the Canadian flag!!

Yes, there is a maple leaf on our flag. I would love some sugar maples, that way they could be dual purpose, shade and maple syrup, I must look into that more.