Nice New Honda, One Small Problem

Lrobby99

Threads
After much debate, and a trial run with a disappointing used Toro, I settled on a nice, new Honda HRR2516VYA.

On the very first mow job, I noticed something odd about the cut path. Every so often one blade of grass was still left standing. In truth, the grass was quite long and I was cutting too much length. So, the next time I cut sooner and the same thing happened. The 3rd time out I mowed very carefully. I used a lot of overlap. Still, every so often there was one blade of grass left way taller than the others. These long ones were painfully obvious to me to the point I backed up and passed over them again. And these rogue blades were anywhere in the path, including near the middle where there is no possible reason for one blade of grass to somehow manage to avoid the cutting blades.

So, what in the world is that all about? Anyone care to take a guess?
thanks,

loco-diablo

Threads
After much debate, and a trial run with a disappointing used Toro, I settled on a nice, new Honda HRR2516VYA.

On the very first mow job, I noticed something odd about the cut path. Every so often one blade of grass was still left standing. In truth, the grass was quite long and I was cutting too much length. So, the next time I cut sooner and the same thing happened. The 3rd time out I mowed very carefully. I used a lot of overlap. Still, every so often there was one blade of grass left way taller than the others. These long ones were painfully obvious to me to the point I backed up and passed over them again. And these rogue blades were anywhere in the path, including near the middle where there is no possible reason for one blade of grass to somehow manage to avoid the cutting blades.

So, what in the world is that all about? Anyone care to take a guess?
thanks,

Do the blades of grass appear to be getting a clean cut, as opposed to somewhat frayed? I would check the mower blades for sharpness. I've noticed that new blades are typically painted over the cutting edge. Make sure those blades are nice and sharp.

Lrobby99

Threads
As sharp as brand new Honda mower blades can be. The mow looks fine. Just the occasional missed "rogue" grass blade sticking up here and there. I am fresh out of ideas here. Help?

krusej23

Threads
I have a Honda HRR216VYA and it does the same thing. It actually doesn't suck up the grass on the right side of the deck that had been pushed over from the pass beside it. I created a thread on another forum and lots of people seem to be having this same issue. Here is the link to that if you want to see it.

Here's what I did yesterday and the results I got.

I went out and mowed yesterday and experimented a little. I normally mow at 3 1/2" or 4". I mowed at 3" today to see if mowing lower helps. It just didn't mow the part where the tire laid the grass down. Then I realized the problem is always on the right side of the mower. I setup a plot of grass to mow where the left side of the mower was always on the cut side of grass and didn't have a problem.

Then I thought I would try out increasing the engine speed by changing the spring location. That helped tremendously. I never had a problem after that at 3". I moved the deck back up to 3.5" and the problem came back slightly but not as noticeable as before. I can see why Honda doesn't want the mower running at that speed because it is loud.

Take that experimenting for what it is. Anything else I should try?

Bod

Threads
Still scratching my head:confused2:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Always run with the throttle WFO regardless of what you are mowing or how fast you are walking.
Engine speed controlls blade speed.
Blade speed controlls the air flow
Air flow is what stands up the grass so you can cut it to an even length.

loco-diablo

Threads
Always run with the throttle WFO regardless of what you are mowing or how fast you are walking.
Engine speed controlls blade speed.
Blade speed controlls the air flow
Air flow is what stands up the grass so you can cut it to an even length.

If the HRR is like the HRX, there is no throttle adjustment. It runs wide open all the time. The blade stop is another matter. My HRX does not have it.
Can you adjust blade speed with the blade stop lever? Or is it either just engaged or disengaged?

Lrobby99

Threads
Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but the blade clutch does not affect any speed. The HRR216VYA has a throttle and you can adjust engine speed between Turtle and Rabbit. I guarantee you there is absolutely no reason to mow in any speed other than Full Rabbit. And I would hope no one does.

But, getting back to my situation, why individual grass blades are going untouched when every adjacent blade is well cut, is just weird. I will mow again today or tomorrow and take pictures. March into my Honda dealer and demand answers which I will post here.

I bought a Honda, ******, I want a good cut! Bonsai!
(geez, you can't even enter dam*mit here without being censored).

loco-diablo

Threads
Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but the blade clutch does not affect any speed. The HRR216VYA has a throttle and you can adjust engine speed between Turtle and Rabbit. I guarantee you there is absolutely no reason to mow in any speed other than Full Rabbit. And I would hope no one does.

But, getting back to my situation, why individual grass blades are going untouched when every adjacent blade is well cut, is just weird. I will mow again today or tomorrow and take pictures. March into my Honda dealer and demand answers which I will post here.

I bought a Honda, ******, I want a good cut! Bonsai!
(geez, you can't even enter dam*mit here without being censored).

Yes. Please post your findings. Very curious as to what's causing the issue.