Nice Air Filtration Upgrade!

twernicke

Threads
Hi all, I recently replaced my carburetor on my FR651V. After tearing it apart I was shocked how much gunk gets past the stock filter. So, after changing out the carb I did a little research and saw some posts here on the filter upgrade options. Decided to pull the trigger on this system through Power Equipment Man. It's not cheap but seems to work well. Install was about 10-15 minutes.

I also had an ongoing issue with my bagger lid popping open while in use. So, $3.00 worth of hardware and a few holes seems to solve it! LOL
Mower1.png

Mower4.png
Mower5.png

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As above
I fit the filter to the mower not the engine so I can easily remove the blower housing for cleaning
Kawasaki use a steel blower housing to take the extra weight & wiggle from the larger heavier filter
Spend another few dollars and fit the air flow meter then never touch the filter till the meter is in the red
Even then just replace the outer.
The inners will last forever on a mower but the soft seals do not like being removed & replaced .
I have never had a problem as the air flow is substantially better through this filter

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
As above
I fit the filter to the mower not the engine so I can easily remove the blower housing for cleaning
Kawasaki use a steel blower housing to take the extra weight & wiggle from the larger heavier filter
Spend another few dollars and fit the air flow meter then never touch the filter till the meter is in the red
The inners will last forever on a mower but the soft seals do not like being removed & replaced .
I have never had a problem as the air flow is substantially better through this filter
The stock air filter system on Kawasaki FR series engines is not the best no doubt.

twernicke

Threads
As above
Yep, just added their flow meter as well. It was out of stock when I ordered the filter kit. So far so good.

clubairth

Threads
I also have added this to my Hustler Raptor 54" (FR691V Engine). Surprised at how rinky dink the factory air filter was. Then I saw that Kawasaki does install this better system on their better engines but as always it costs more. So it's $230+ and that would increase the selling price of this lower end Hustler I am sure!

I did add the filter restriction gauge too and now don't even touch the air filter all mowing season long. Still waiting for the red indicator to pop up. Maybe 50 hours on it so far.

No rich running and to be honest it seems to just run the same?
Thanks for the advice about the air filter element as I did see they are pretty expensive and some have an inner and outer element but others just the outer?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Keep an eye also on the plastic blower housing this Donaldson filter is attached to. That seems to be the weak point imo of this design.