Repairs Newer Craftsman LT 1000 Drag Link

rbellusmc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a newer gray Lt series Craftsman tractor. The wheels have become toed out over the last year to where it has become unusable. The craftsman tech gave me the part number replacements to swap the existing drag links out with adjustable ones. They have been on back order for two months and I have given up on that. Anyone ever try creating adjustable drag links out of existing ones? Not sure how difficult it would be? Even just by doing one side would solve the issue. The spindle seems to be bent farther on the left wheel.

Ifixdit

Threads
I have a newer gray Lt series Craftsman tractor. The wheels have become toed out over the last year to where it has become unusable. The craftsman tech gave me the part number replacements to swap the existing drag links out with adjustable ones. They have been on back order for two months and I have given up on that. Anyone ever try creating adjustable drag links out of existing ones? Not sure how difficult it would be? Even just by doing one side would solve the issue. The spindle seems to be bent farther on the left wheel.

Is it Sears that has the parts on backorder? I used to work for them and it seemed like the adjustable links were ALWAYS on backorder. You may want to try ordering from another online dealer of small engine parts like Jack's Small Engines. I've never heard of anyone trying to make a set. Good luck!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can make adjustable links But that is likely Not the underlying problem...
Check the Bushings on Both sides... I'll bet they are worn to the point that the axles can be moved a Long way before all the bushing contact points meet up... Replace the bushings will generally tighten everything back up... :smile:KennyV

rbellusmc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it Sears that has the parts on backorder? I used to work for them and it seemed like the adjustable links were ALWAYS on backorder. You may want to try ordering from another online dealer of small engine parts like Jack's Small Engines. I've never heard of anyone trying to make a set. Good luck!

No, I didn't go through Sears this time. I tried repairclinic.com and partstree.com and both had them back ordered. I may try to find someone with a torch who can heat them up and bend them in a half-inch. I'll check the bushings also.

rbellusmc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the Bushings on Both sides... I'll bet they are worn to the point that the axles can be moved a Long way before all the bushing contact points meet up... Replace the bushings will generally tighten everything back up... :smile:KennyV

I'll check the bushings, thanks for letting me know. This tractor gets used 1hr/week 6 months out of the year and is 4 years old, so yeah they could be worn.

rbellusmc

Forum Newbie
Threads

Are the bushings in the wheel itself, or are you talking about the ones in the center of the axle?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are the bushings in the wheel itself, or are you talking about the ones in the center of the axle?

All the bushings will contribute to problems as they wear ... Wheel bushings and suspension system bushings should all be checked & replaced if needed, they are generally not built with the Best materials and therefore will fail, but they are also very low in price to replace. :smile:KennyV